OF INDIA .
Pardi Taluka.-Southernmost tdluka of Surat District, Bombay,
lying between 20° 17' and 20 32' N. and 72° 5o' and 73° 7' E., with
an area of 163 square miles. It contains one town, PARDI (population,
5,483), the head-quarters; and 81 villages. The population in s9o1
was 61,691, compared with 58,245 in 1891. Land revenue and cesses
in 1903-4 amounted to nearly 1l- lakhs. The tdluka adjoins the
Portuguese territory of Daman, and is for the most part an undulating
plain sloping westwards to the sea. The fields are, as a rule, unenclosed.
Pardi is divided into an infertile and a fertile region by the Kolak
river. Its climate has a bad reputation. The annual rainfall, averaging
72 inches, is the heaviest in the District.
Pardi Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluka of the salve name in
Surat District, Bombay, situated in 20° 31' N. and 72° 57' E., on the
Bombay, Baroda, and Central India Railway. Population (lgoi),
5483. The town contains a dispensary and three schools, two (in-
cluding an English school) for boys and one for girls, attended
respectively by 23o and 94 pupils.
Parenda Taluk.-Crown tdluk in the west of Osmanabad District,
Hyderabad State, with an area of 501 square miles. The population
in 19oi, including jdgirs, was 59,685, compared with 71,86o in 1891,
the decrease being due to the famine of 19oo. The Nluk contains
112 villages, of which 6 are jdgir, and PARENDA (population, 3,655)
is the head-quarters. The land revenue in lgor amounted to 1-8 lakhs.
The soil is chiefly regar or black cotton soil.
Parenda Village.-Head-quarters of the tdluh of the same name
in Osmanabad District, Hyderabad State, situated in 18° 16' N. and
75' 27' E. Population (1901), 3,655. The fort, erected by Mahmud
Gavan, the celebrated Bahmani minister, contains several large guns
mounted on bastions. Parenda was the capital of the Nizam Shahis
for a short time after the capture of Ahmadnagar by the Mughals in
1605. It was besieged unsuccessfully by Shah Jahan's general in 1630.
It was, however, reduced by Aurangzeb during his viceroyalty of the