Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 20, p. 2.


Graphics file for this page
2 PARENDA VILLAGE
Deccan. The fortifications are in good order, but the old town is in
ruins. Numerous ruins in the neighbourhood and the fort testify to
the former populousness of the place. It now possesses a tahsil and
police inspector's office, a custom station, a school, and a tdluk post
office.
Parganas, The Twenty-four.-District in Bengal. See TWENTY-
FOUR PARGANAS.
Parghat.-Old pass or route across the Western Ghats in Bombay,
leading from Satdra District to Kolaba. Two villages, Par Par or Par
Proper and Pet Par, situated 5 miles west of Mahabaleshwar and
immediately south of Pratapgarh, give their name to and mark this old
route into the Konkan, which goes straight over the hill below Bombay
Point, and winds up a very steep incline with so many curves that it
was named by the British the Corkscrew Pass. Passing through the
two Pars, the farther line of the Western Ghats is descended by an
equally steep path to the village of Parghat in Kolaba District. This
route was maintained practicable for cattle and the artillery of the
period from very early times, and toll stations for the levy of transit
duties as well as for defence were stationed at various points. Afzal
Khan, the Muhammadan general of the Sultan of Bijapur, brought his
forces by this pass to the famous interview at Pratapgarh, where he was
murdered by Sivaji. Until the building of the Kumbharli road in 1864
and the Fitzgerald Pass road in 1876, the Parghat was the only highway
leading from Satara to the Konkan.
Pargi.-Tdluk in Mahbubnagar District, Hyderabad State, with an
area of 220 square miles. The population in 19or, including jdgirs,
was 31,425, compared with 22,o08 in 1891. It contains 71 villages,
of which 22 are jciagr. Pargi (population, 2,361) is the head-quarters.
The land revenue in 1901 was Rs. 48,000. In 1905 this tdluk was
enlarged by the addition of villages from the Koilkonda and Jedcherla
tdluhs, and now contains 114 khdlsa villages.
Parlchhatgarh.-Town in the Mawana tahsil of Meerut District,
United Provinces, situated in 28 59' N. and 77 57' L., 14 miles east
of Meerut city. Population (1901), 6,278. The fort round which the
town is built lays claim to great antiquity; tradition ascribes its con-
struction to Parikhshit, grandson of Arjuna, one of the five Pandava
brethren in the Mahabharata, to whom is also attributed the foundation
of the town. The fort was restored by Raja Nain Singh on the rise of
Gujar power in the eighteenth century. It was dismantled in 1857,
and is now used as a police station. The town is administered under
Act XX of 1856, with an income of about Rs. 1,7oo. The trade is
local. There are branches of the Church Missionary Society and the
American Methodist Mission, and two primary schools.
Parkal.-Tdluk in Karimnagar District, Hyderabad State, with an
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html