Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 20, p. 3.


Graphics file for this page
PARLAKIMEDI ESTATE
3
area of 654 square miles. The population in 1901, including jdgirs, was
84,228, compared with 74,048 in i89i. The hiluh contains 117 villages,
of which 5 are jdgir : and Ambal (population, 1,849) is the head-
quarters. The land revenue in 1901 was 3-1 lakhs. Rice is extensively
raised by tank-irrigation.
Parlakimedi Estate.-The largest permanently settled impartible
estate in Ganjam District, Madras, lying in the west of the District,
with an area of 614 square miles, and a population (1901) of 256,414.
In 1903 the peshhash and cesses amounted to Rs. 1,05,900.
The Raja claims descent from the Orissa Gajapatis. The whole
Kimedi country, consisting of the present zaminddris of Parlakimedi,
Peddakimedi, and Chinnakimedi, was under one ruler until 1607 ; but
in that year the Kimedi Raja allotted Peddakimedi and Chinnakimedi
to his younger son, whose descendants subsequently divided them
into the two existing zaminddris of those names. The British first
came into contact with the Parlakimedi family in 1768, when Colonel
Peach led a detachment against Narayana Deo, the zaminddr, and
defeated him at Jalmur. In 1799 the Company temporarily assumed
control of the estate for breach of an engagement. Restored to the
family, this difficult country was the scene of continued disturbances
for many years. In 1816 it was ravaged by Pindaris ; in 1819 it was
found necessary to send a Special Commissioner, Mr. Thackeray, to
quell a rising in it; while in 1833 a field force was sent under General
Taylor, and peace was not finally restored till 1835. No further
disturbance took place for twenty years, but in 1856-7 the employment
of a small body of troops was again necessary to restore order.
The estate was under the management of the Court of Wards from
1830 to 1890, owing to the incapacity of two successive Rajas. When
the estate was taken under management there was no money in hand
and the peshhash was heavily in arrear. During the management
considerable improvement was effected in its condition, a survey and
settlement being made, good roads constructed, sources of irrigation
improved at a cost of 29 lakhs, and cultivation greatly extended ; the
income rose from Rs. 1,40,000 to Rs. 3,86,ooo, and the cash balance
in 1890 amounted to nearly 30 lakhs. The Raja who then succeeded
has recently died, and the estate is again under the management of
the Court.
Parlakimedi is singularly favoured by nature, the soil being fertile
and irrigation available from the Vamsadhara and Mahendratanaya
rivers, a channel from the latter, and many large tanks. The lands are
lightly assessed, and the ryots are. much better off than in the other
zaminddris of the District.
There are 120 miles of metalled road in the estate. A light railway
of 2 feet 6 inches gauge, 25 miles in length, was constructed by the
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html