Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 20, p. 4.


Graphics file for this page
4
PARLAKIMEDI ESTATE
late Raja at a cost of 7 lakhs from Naupada, a station on the East
Coast Railway, to PARLAKIMEDI, the chief town of the zaminddri.
This is the first work of the kind undertaken by a private individual
in Southern India. Besides its capital, the chief places in the estate
are MUKHALINGAM, a place of pilgrimage, and Patapatnam, Battili, and
Hiramandalam, which are centres of trade.
Parlakimedi Tahsil.-Westernmost zaminddri tahsil in Ganjam
District, Madras, lying between 18 31' and 19 6' N. and 83 49' and
84 25' E., with an area of 972 square miles. The population in 1901
was 311,534, compared with 304,359 in I89r. The tahsil contains
one town, .PARLAKIMEDI (population, 17,336), the head-quarters; and
1,015 villages. The demand for land revenue and cesses in 1903-4
was Rs. 1,16,ooo. The tahsil consists of the PARLAKIMEDI ESTATE,
which is described separately, and the Parlakimedi Maliahs. The
latter are attached to the estate and are chiefly inhabited by Savaras.
They have an area of 358 square miles, and contained a population
in 19or of 55,120, compared with 52,302 in 189r. They consist of the
forts (as the head-quarters villages are termed) and muttahs (groups of
villages) of the ten Bissoyis, or hill chiefs. Of their 348 villages, 122
are situated below the Ghats and the rest above. In 1894 the Raja
of Parlakimedi brought a suit in the Agent's court to obtain possession
of these Maliahs and won his case. On appeal it was held by the
High Court that lie had no right to any portion of them. A further
appeal to the Privy Council was dismissed, and the Government has
ordered the introduction of a ryotwdri settlement in the 122 villages
below the Ghats. The Bissoyis hold the muttahs as service indmddrs,
on condition of keeping order in the hill tracts and maintaining
an establishment of sarddrs and paihs. The latter may be described-
as the rank and file, and the former as the titular commanders of
a semi-military force which the Bissoyis employed in olden days to
overawe the Savaras, and to garrison posts at the passes as a check
upon their irruptions into the low country. The Bissoyis pay a quit-
rent called kattubadi, and this was included in the assets on which
the peshhash of the Parlakimedi zaminddri was fixed. They collect
nidmuls (customary fees), which were settled and fixed in 1881, from
the Savaras. The Maliahs contain considerable forests, in which is
some good sdl (Shorea robusta). The highest point in them is
Devagiri, 4,535 feet above the sea.
Parlakimedi Town.-Chief place in the zaminddri and tahsil of
the same name in Ganjam District, Madras, situated in 18 47' N.
and 84 5' E., 25 miles from the Naupada station on the East Coast
Railway by the 2 ft. 6 in. railway which the late Raja constructed to
meet the main line there. The town stands in the midst of picturesque
scenery, being situated in an amphitheatre of hills with beautiful tanks
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html