Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 20, p. 23.


Graphics file for this page
PATAN TAL UKA 23
expanding, and amounted in value to about 44 lakhs during the twenty-
one months from June, 1903, to February, 1905. The annual customs
lease has also risen from Rs. 4,500 in 1899 to Rs. 18,ooo in 1905.
The only industry is fishing, on which the majority of the population
subsist.
Pasrur Tahs11.-Central tahsil of Sialkot District, Punjab, lying
between 31 56' and 32 2o' N. and 74 32' and 74 57' E., with an area
of 394 square miles. The population in 1901 was 193,746, compared
with 203,875 in 1891. The head-quarters are at the town of PASRUR
(population, 8,335), and it also contains the town of KILA SOBHA
SINGH (3,338) and 443 villages. The land revenue and cesses
in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 3,10,000. Irrigation dams are an im-
portant factor in cultivation, especially in the south and west of the
tahsil. The richest tract is the north-east corner. In the centre the
country lies higher and is less fertile, while in the south the soil is
a sour clay. The Degh passes through the eastern portion.
Pasrur Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Sialkot District, Punjab, situated in 32 16' N. and 74 4o' E., on the
road from Sialkot to Amritsar, 18 miles south of Sidlkot town. Popu-
lation (1900, 8,335. It was originally called Parasrur after Paras
Ram, Brahman, to whom the town was assigned by its founder ; it is
mentioned by Babar as a halting-place between Sialkot and Kalanaur,
and seems to have once been of considerable importance. It possesses
a large tank, constructed in the reign of Jahangir. To feed this, Dara
Shikoh dug a canal, traces of which are still extant. Near by are the
remains of a bridge built by Shah Daula. At the Muharram a great
gathering takes place at the shrine of Mian Barkhurdar, a famous
Muhammadan saint. The trade of Pasrur has much decayed, partly
through the opening of the North-Western Railway, and partly on
account of the octroi duties which have diverted trade to the neighbour-
ing village of Kalaswala. Hand-printed cotton stuffs are the only manu-
facture of importance. Pasrur is a station of the American United
Presbyterian Mission. The municipality was created in 1867. The
income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 7,900, and
the expenditure Rs. 7,800. The income in 1903-4 was Rs. 8,000,
chiefly from octroi ; and the expenditure was Rs. 6,9oo. The town
contains an Anglo-vernacular high school maintained by the District
board, and a Government dispensary.
Patan Taluka (1).-North-western tdluka of the Kadiprdnt, Baroda
State, with an area of 409 square miles. The population fell from
136,083 in 1891 to 104,136 in 1901. The haluka contains two towns,
PATAN (population, 31,402), the head-quarters, and BALISNA (4,650) ;
and 140 villages. It presents the appearance of a fairly wooded plain,
with the river Saraswati running through the centre. T o the west and
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html