usually controlled by an officer of the Indian Medical Service, who
is medical adviser to the Maharaja, with nine Assistant Surgeons.
The Sadr and Lady Dufferin Hospitals at the capital are fine buildings,
well equipped, and a training school for midwives and nurses was
opened in 1906.
Vaccination is controlled by an inspector of vaccination and regis-
tration of vital statistics, under whom are a supervisor and thirty
vaccinators. In 1903-4 the number of persons successfully vaccinated
was 43,782, or 27 per r,ooo of the population. Vaccination is no-
The Bhadaur villages in the Anahadgarh tahsil were surveyed and
mapped by the revenue staff in 1854-5, and the whole of the
Mohindargarh tahsil in 1858, while they were still British territory.
In 1877-9 a revenue survey of the whole State, except the Pinjaur
tahsil, was carried out; but maps were not made except for the
Mohindargarh and Anahadgarh nizamals, and for a few scattered
villages elsewhere. During the present settlement, the whole of the
State is being resurveyed, and the maps will be complete in 1907.
The first trigonometrical survey was made in 1847-9, and maps
were published on the 1-inch and 2-inch scales; but the Pinjaur tahsil
was not surveyed until 1886-92, when 2-inch maps were published.
A 4-inch map of the Cis-Sutlej States was published in 1863, and in
the revised edition of 1897 the Pinjaur tahsil was included. The
1-inch maps prepared in 1847-9 were revised in 1886-92.
[H. A. Rose, Phulkian States Gazetteer (in the press) ; L. H. Griffin,
The RJjas of the Punjab (second edition, 1873); Khalifa Muhammad
Hasan, Tarikh-i-Patiala (1877); also the various Histories of the
Patiala Tahsil (or Chaurasi).-North-eastern tahsil of the Karm-
garh nizdmal, Patiala State, Punjab, lying between 30' Wand 30' 27'N.
and 76° 17' and 76° 36' E., with an area of 273 square miles. The
population was 121,224 in 1901, compared with 128,221 in 189x. It
contains two towns, PATI.&LA (population, 53,545), the head-quarters,
and SANAUR (8,530); and 197 villages. The tahsil lies wholly within
the Pawadh. The land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to
Patiala Town.-Capital of the Patiala State, Punjab, situated in
30° 2o' N. and 76° 28' E., on the west bank of the Patiala stream,
34 miles west of Ambala cantonment, and on the Rajpura-Bhatinda
branch of the North-Western Railway. It is also connected with Nabha
and Sangrur by metalled roads. Population (1901), 53,545
After the fall of Sirhind in 1763, Raja Ala Singh built a masonry .fort
on the site of Patiala, then a petty village, from the customs dues
collected at Sirhind. The inhabitants of Sirhind migrated in large