PA TTAN fUNARA 73
mentioned, a palace for the Maharaja, a courthouse, and a dispensary
have been constructed, in addition to minor works. The educational
institutions comprise one English and one vernacular middle school,
a girls' school, and 37 primary schools with a total of 3,8x9 pupils,
including 672 girls. The expenditure on education in 1904 was
Rs. 9,2oo. At the Census of rgo1 only 5,142 persons were returned
as literate, 1-9 per cent. (3-6 males and o-1 females) being able to read
and write. A dispensary has been established at Bolangir, at which
25,000 patients were treated in 1904.
Patoda. -° Crown' tdluk in the south-west of Bhir District, Hyder-
abad State, with an area of 353 square miles. The population in 1901,
including jddirs, was 30,022, compared with 42,085 in 1891, the de
crease being the result of the famines of 1897 and 1899-19oo. The
taluk contains 74 villages, of which 3 are jdgzr, and Patoda (population,
3,179) is the head-quarters. The land revenue in r9o1 was 1•r lakhs.
The Manjra' river rises in the hills west of Patoda. Tile tkluk is
situated on a fertile plateau, and is hilly toward the north and west.
Patri (Pdtdi).-Town in the Viramgam tdluka of Ahmadabad
District, Bombay, situated in 23° 11' N. and 71° 53' E., on the
Bombay, Baroda, and Central India Railway, 58 miles west of Ahmad-
Abad city, on a bare plain at the border of the Rann of Cutch. The
town is surrounded by a wall and contains a strong castle. Population
(1901), 5,544. The chief trade is in cotton, grain, and molasses.
The town has a dispensary and two vernacular schools, one of which
is for girls, attended by 242 and 128 pupils respectively.
Pattadkal.--Village in the Badami tdluka of Bijapur District,
Bombay, situated in 15° 57' N. and 75° 52' E., 9 miles from Badami
town. Population (1901), 1,088. It contains several old temples,
both Brahmanical and Jain, with inscriptions dating from the seventh
or eighth century, and considered by experts to be pure examples of
the Dravidian style of architecture.
Pattan Munara.-Ancient ruin in the Naushahra tahsil of Baha-
walpur State, Punjab, situated in 28° 15' N. and 70° 22' E., 5 miles
east of Rahimyar Khan. At the close of the eighteenth century the
remains of four towers surrounding the central tower of a Buddhist
monastery still existed here, but only the lower storey of the central
tower now remains. Tradition avers that it had three storeys, and that
the extensive mounds around it are the ruins of a city which was over
loo square miles in extent. It is possible that the ruins mark the site
of the capital of Mousicanus, who, after a brief submission to Alex-
ander, revolted and was crucified in 325 B.c. The name Mousicanus
probably conceals the name of the tribe or territory ruled by the chief-
tain, and it has been suggested that it survives either in the tribal name
of the Magsi or Magassi Baloch or in that of the Machkas. Another