is the Hindri, which rises near Maddikera and drains nearly two-thirds
of it. Pattikonda was part of Bellary District till 1858. It was then
called Panchapalaiyam, or the `land of the five poligars.' Almost
every village contains a ruined fort. The rainfall is 23 inches, about
two-thirds of which is received during the south-west monsoon. The
taluk is almost entirely `dry,' there being only 34,925 acres of ° wet'
cultivation supplied by petty tanks and wells. The prevailing soil is
black cotton soil, but the southern portion is gravelly and hilly. The
tWuk contains 112 square miles of I reserved' forests, almost the whole
of which lies on the Erramalas in the southern and south-eastern
Pattikonda Village.-Head-quarters of the taluk of the same
name in Kurnool District, Madras, situated in 15° 24' N. and
77° 31' E. The. population in 19o1 was 4,373, and it is a Union
under the Madras Local Boards Act V of 1884. It consists of two
portions: the old pettah, and the new Munro's pettah which is named
after Sir Thomas Munro, Governor of Madras, who died here of
cholera on July 6, 1827, when on tour. To his memory Govern-
ment constructed a fine stone-faced reservoir, built a mantapam, or
porch, close by, and planted round it a grove of tamarind-trees. The
grove and well are maintained by the Ramallakota taluk board.
A weekly market is held in front of the grove.
Pattukkottai Taluk.-Southern subdivision and taluk of Tanjore
District, Madras, bordering on Palk Strait, and lying between 9° 49'
and 10° 35' N. and 78° 55' and 79 32' E., with an area of 9o6 square
miles. The population in 1901 was 295,894, compared with 271,626 in
1891, showing an increase in the decade of nearly 9 per cent., due to
the influx of labourers for the extension of the District board railway
recently under construction. PATTUKKOTTAi TOWN, the head-quarters,
has a population Of 7,504, and ADIKAMPATNAM, a small port, 10,494.
The number of villages is 792. The demand for land revenue and
cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 2,97,000. In several ways it forms
a striking contrast to the other tdluks of the District, since practically
no part of it is within reach of the Cauvery. The greater portion is
' dry' land, the small `wet' area within it being watered by tanks and
wells; and the soil is nearly all of a red ferruginous variety which
forms arable land of inferior quality. Four-fifths of the total area is
either zamindari or indm, a further point of contrast to the rest of the
District; but in the remainder the percentage of unoccupied land is
higher, and the incidence of the assessment per head and the rent
of the average holding are lower, than in any other taluk. Pattuk-
kottai is the most backward tract in Tanjore in point of education,
and, though the largest of the tdluks, is the least densely peopled.
Pattukkkottai Town.-Head-quarters of the taluk of the same