Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 20, p. 76.

Graphics file for this page
name in Tanjore District, Madras, situated in ro° 26' N. and
79° 1g' E., with a station on the District board railway. Popula-
tion (1go1), 7,504. An inscription in the ruined fort relates that
this building was erected by Vanaji Panditar in honour of Shahji
Maharaja in A.D. 1686-7. In the western part of the town is an
elaborately sculptured and ancient Siva temple of considerable size,
containing many inscriptions. In 1815 Sarabhoji, the Raja of Tan-
jore, erected a miniature fort and column, with an inscription in
English to commemorate the triumph of the British arms and the
downfall of Bonaparte. Brass vessels, mats, and coarse cotton cloths
are manufactured.
Patuakhali Subdivision.-South-eastern subdivision of Backer-
gunge District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, lying between 21° 49' and
22° 36' N. and 89° 59' and 90° 4o' E., with an area of 1,231 square
miles. The subdivision is a fertile deltaic tract, merging to the south
in the SUNDARBANS, where there are extensive areas of waste land
covered with forest. The population in rgor was 522,658, compared
with 496,735 In 18gi. It contains one town, PATUAKHALI (population,
5,003), the head-quarters, and 1,051 villages, and is the most sparsely
populated subdivision in the District, supporting only 425 persons per
square mile, the density being lowest towards the south where the
Sundarbans have been only partially reclaimed.
Patuakhali Town.-Head-quarters of the subdivision of the same
name in Backergunge District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in
z2° 22' N. and 90° 22' E., on the Patuakhali river. Population (1go1),
5,003. Patuakhali was constituted a municipality in 1892. The
income and expenditure during the decade ending 1901-2 both
averaged Rs. 3,000. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 5,ooo, half of
which was derived from a property tax; and the expenditure was
Rs. 4,000.
Patur.-Town in the Balapur tdluk of Akola District, Berar, situated
in 20° 27' N. and 76° 59' E. Population (1901), 5,990. In the side
of a low hill just east of the town are two caves hewn in the rock.
These are simple vihdras with a veranda. The inscriptions on the
pillars and architraves have not yet been deciphered, and the caves
are otherwise unadorned, and contain no images except a portion of
a seated figure with the legs crossed, which has been held to be a Jain
saint, but may possibly be Buddhist.
The town is commonly known as Patur Shaikh Babu from the
shrine of Shaikh Abdul-Aziz, commonly known as Shaikh Babu, who
is said to have come to Patflr from Delhi in 1378, and to have died
here eleven years later. According to the legend the saint was highly
regarded by Muhammad bin Tughlak, whom he cured of fever on one
occasion, and who built the shrine over his grave. But unfortunately
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by
The URL of this page is: