Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 20, p. 126.


Graphics file for this page
126 PPSIIA WAR- CITY
Two miles west of the city lie the cantonments, where the civil
offices are also situated. The cantonments were occupied by British
troops soon after annexation in 1848-9. The garrison has been much
reduced and consists at present of one battery of field artillery, two
regiments of British and three of Native infantry, one, regiment of
Native cavalry, and one company each of sappers and miners, bearer
corps, and army hospital native corps. The garrison forms part of
the Peshawar military division of the Northern Command, and the
head-quarters of the division are situated here.
The municipality was constituted in 1867. The income and
expenditure 'during the ten years ending 1902-3 'averaged 2.3 and
z-15 lakhs respectively. In 1903-4 the income was 28 lakhs, of
which more than 2 lakhs were derived from octroi, while the
expenditure amounted to 29 lakhs, the chief heads of charge being
conservancy (RS. 26,ooo), education (Rs. 12,ooo), hospitals and
dispensaries (Rs. 18,ooo), public safety (Rs. 46,ooo), and administra-
tion (Rs. 36,ooo). The income and expenditure of cantonment funds
during the . ten years - ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 53,ooo and
Rs. 52,5oo respectively; in 1903-4 the income was Rs. 69,ooo, and
the expenditure Rs. 70,000.
The main trade of the District passes through the city of Peshawar.
Though of a varied and not uninteresting nature, it is less extensive
than might perhaps have been expected, but its position makes it
important as an entrepdt for Central Asia. The principal foreign
markets having dealings with Peshawar are Kabul and Bokhara. From
the former place are imported raw silk, worsted, cochineal, jalap,
asafoetida, saffron, resin, simples, and fruits, both fresh and dried;
principally for re-exportation to the Punjab and Hindustan, whence
are received in return English piece-goods, cambrics, silk, indigo,
sugar, tea, salt, and spices. Bokhara supplies gold coins, gold and
silver thread and lace, principally for re-exportation to Kashmir, whence
the return trade is shawls. Iron from Bajaur, skins, fibres and mats
made of the dwarf-palm (mazri), are the only remaining items of
importance coming from beyond the border.
The city possesses an unaided Arts college attached to the Mission
high school, and four high schools: namely, the municipal and
Edwardes Mission Anglo-vernacular high schools, and two unaided
Anglo-vernacular high schools. It also contains a civil hospital and
four dispensaries., Another institution is the Martin Lecture Hall
and Institute, with its- reading-room and library, also maintained by
the -Peshawar Mission.
Peth. Former head-quarters of the Valva tdluha of Satara District,
Bombay, situated in_ 17 3'_ N. and _74 14' E., 45 miles south-east of
Satara town. Population (1go1), 6,820. Peth is a local trade centre,
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html