PIIAG WARA TftHSlr, i27
the chief articles of trade being grain and cattle. A yearly fair- attended
by about 5,000 people is held in February.
Pethapur State.-Petty State in MAH! KnNTHA, Bombay.
Pethapur Town.-Chief town of the State of the same name in
the Mahi Kantha Agency, -Bombay, situated in 23° 13' N. and
72' 33' E., on the west bank of the Sabarmati. Population (igol);
5,616. The town is noted for the brilliancy of its dyes and for the
manufacture of cutlery, but the latter industry is declining. Consider-
able quantities of cloth are brought into the town to be coloured, and
are then exported to Siam.
Petlad Tfiluka.-TVuka in the Baroda prcint, Baroda State, lying
to the north of the river Mahi, intersected by parts of Kaira District,
with an area of 181 square miles. The population fell from 157,786
in 1891 to 134,558 m 1901• It contains 7 towns, PFTI,AD (population,
15,282), the head-quarters, SOJITRA (10,578), VASO (8,765), NAR
(6,525), PIHIJ (5,282), DHARMAJ (4,827), and BHADRAN (4,761); and
68 villages. The tdluka consists mostly of a level plain, without rivers
and woods, but with numerous trees lining the fields or clustering
about the villages. About one-fourth of the soil is black, one-half
is light red or gordt, and the remainder a mixture of these called bestir.
The tdluka is specially known for its excellent tobacco. In 1904-5
the land revenue was Rs. 4,83,000.
Petlad Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same name,
Baroda prdnt, Baroda State, situated in 22° 29' N. and- 72° 5o' E.,
on a broad-gauge line from Anand on the Bombay, Baroda, and
Central India Railway to Cambay. Population (lgoi), 15,282. Petlad
contains a naib-subah's office, a civil court, a jail, Anglo-vernacular and
vernacular schools, a dispensary, a library, and numerous dharnasdlas
and temples. It is administered as a municipality, with an annual
grant from the State of Rs. 3,1oo. Being the centre of a tobacco-
producing tract, a prosperous trade is carried on in that product;
and there is in addition a considerable manufacture of cloth, brass
and copper pots, and locks.
Phagwara Tahsil.-Tahsil of Kapurthala State, Punjab, lying
between 31° 9' and 31° 23' N. and 75° 44' and 75° 59' E., with an
area of 118 square miles. The population increased from 63,549
in 18gr to 69,837 in r9o1. It contains one town,-PHAGWARA
(population, 14,108), and 88 villages. The land revenue and cesses
in 1903-4 amounted to 2-1 lakhs. The tahsil, which lies in the
great plain of the Doab, is fertile everywhere. It is divided, into
three tracts known as Sirwal, Manjki, and Dhak. The characteristic
of the Sirwal is a soft blackish sandy soil, containing moisture, and
generally capable of producing sugar-cane and rice without inunda
tion. The Manjki has a hard red soil, productive of good crops with