Pinjaur Village.-Head-quarters of the Pinjaur nizamat and tahsil,
Patiala State, Punjab, situated in 30° 48' N. and 76' 59' E., 3 miles
from Kalka on the Simla road, at the confluence of the Koshallia and
Jhajhra, two tributaries of the Ghaggar. Population (1901), 812. The
name is a corruption of Panchapura, and the place is of considerable
antiquity, being mentioned by Abu Rihan in 1030. In 1254 it
formed part of the territory of Sirmur, which was ravaged by Nasir-ud
din Mahmud, king of Delhi. It was the fief of Fidai Khan, foster-
brother of Aurangzeb, and the Raja of Sirmur recovered it in 1675
from the son of its former holder, a Hindu. Fidai Khan laid out
the beautiful gardens, which still remain. Wrested from the Muham-
madans by a Hindu official who made himself master of Mani Majra,
it was taken by Patiala in 1769 after a desperate siege, in which the
attacking force, though reinforced from Hindur, Kahlur, and Sirmur,
suffered severely. There are extensive Hindu remains and fragments
of an ancient Sanskrit inscription in the village. Bourquin, Sindhia's
partisan leader, dismantled the fort about 1793. The village has
a dispensary and a police station, and is famous for its sacred tank,
Dharamandal or Dharachettra.
Pinlebu-South-western township of Katha District, Upper Burma,
lying between 23° 4o' and 24° 22' N. and 95' 6' and 95° 48' E., on
either side of the Mu stream, with an area of 1,367 square miles. It
was, together with the rest of the State of Wuntho, annexed in 1891.
The population in i9oi was 29,321, distributed in 362 villages. The
head-quarters are at Pinlebu (population, 617), on the Mu, in the
centre of the township. `The surveyed area under cultivation in
1903-4 was 35 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda
amounted to Rs. 75,700.
Pipar.-Town in the State of Jodhpur, Rajputana, situated in
26' 23' N. and 73' 33' E., on the left bank of the Jojri river (a tributary
of the Lumi), about 32 miles east of jodhpur city, and 7 miles south-
east of Pipar Road station on the Jodhpur-Bikaner Railway. Popu-
lation (i9oi), 6,785. The town is of some commercial importance,
and is noted for its dyed cloths. Tradition assigns the foundation of
Pipar either to a king of the Paramara Rajputs prior to the Christian
era, or to a Paliwal Brahman named Pipa:
Piplia.-Thakurdt in the Mh.wA AGENCY, Central India.
PiplRinagar.-Thakurat in the BHOPAL AGENCY, Central India.
Piploda.-One of the mediatized chiefships of the Central India
Agency, in the Malwa Political Charge. It has an area of about
6o square miles.
The ancestors of the present chief were Doria Rajputs, who migrated
from Kathiawar, one Kaluji seizing the fort of Sabalgarh, 7 miles from
the present town of Piploda, in 1285. In 1547 Shardul Singh, sixth