in descent from Kaluji, greatly extended his possessions and founded
the town of Piploda. The estate was reduced to its present dimensions
by the inroads of the Marathas, the Thakur becoming subject to Amir
Khan. When independence was guaranteed to JAORA In 1818 by the
twelfth article of the Treaty of Mandasor, the question of the status of
Piploda arose. Through the mediation of Sir John Malcolm, the
Nawab of Jaora agreed in 1821 to allow the Thakur to hold his lands
on paying Rs. 28,ooo a year as tribute, and surrendering half the
sciyar dues of the holding. In 1844 a fresh agreement was made,
without the cognizance of the Government of India, in which the
Thakur's position was more carefully defined. During the Mutiny
Thakur Shiv Singh furnished cavalry and men to the British authorities
at Mandasor. The present chief, Thakur Kesri Singh, succeeded in
1887, having been educated at the Daly College at Indore.
The estate has a population (1901) Of 11,441, of whom Hindus
form 84 per cent. There are 28 villages in the thakardt, the
revenue of five of which is assigned to Panth-Piploda (see MAL)VA
AGiavcv). About 72 per cent. of the population speak the Malwi
dialect, and 9o per cent. are agriculturists, the principal caste supported
by it being the Kunbi.
The land is for the most part highly fertile, being chiefly black
cotton, producing excellent crops of all the ordinary grains and of
poppy. Of the total area, 33 square miles, or 55 per cent., are
under cultivation, 3 square miles of this being irrigable. About
30 square miles produce cereals, 3 poppy, and one cotton. There
are two metalled roads in the estate, one leading to Rankoda, the
other to Puniakheri.
The Thakur administers the estate with the assistance of a Wr7iddr,
and has limited judicial powers, all heinous eases being referred to the
Political Agent. The total revenue is Rs. 95,000, of which Rs. 9o,ooo
is derived from the land. The Thakur receives small yearly tdnkas
(cash payments) from the States of Dewas (Rs. 253) and Jaora
(Rs. r,ooo). Revenue from irrigated land is collected in cash, from
unirrigated in kind. The incidence of the revenue demand its
Rs. 3-3 per acre of cultivated area.
Piploda, the capital of the estate, is situated in 23° 36' N. and
74° 57' E., 11 miles from Jaora, with which it is connected by
a metalled road. Its population in 1901 was 3,282. A ddk-bungalow,
a British post office, a hospital, a jail, and a school are situated in the
town. Seven miles away stands the old fort of Sabalgarh, the first
capital of the holding.
Piram (Perm).-Island in Ahmadabad District, Bombay, situated
in 21° 36' N. and 72° 21' E., in the Gulf of Cambay, 42 miles
south of Gogha, and 2 2 from the nearest part of the Kathiawar shore.