152 PI1?I YjP,4 TNA
Mysore, situated in 12° 2o' N. and 76° 6' E., r3 miles from Hunsfir.
Population (1901), 3,872. Its original name was Singapattana, but
the king who built the fort of stone and extended the place in the
sixteenth century named it after himself. It was in the possession
of the Changalva kings of Nanjarajpatna (in Coorg) till 1644, when
it was taken by Mysore. The Coorg Raja was confined here in the
time of Tipu Sultan, but the fort was dismantled by the British on
their advance against Seringapatam in 1791. The town is inhabited
chiefly by traders, who export cotton, tobacco, and other commodities
to Coorg, Cannanore, &c. A pack of hounds is maintained in the
neighbourhood, which is regularly hunted by planters from Coorg and
others. The municipality dates from 1898. The receipts and expen-
diture during the three years ending rgor averaged Rs. 1,roo and
Rs. goo. In 1903-4 they were Rs. 2,1oo and Rs. 1,700.
Pir Mangho.-Hot springs in Karachi District, Sind, Bombay.
See MAGAR TALAO.
Pirmed.--Hill station on the Pirmed range of hills, forming the
southern portion of the Cardamom Hills, Travancore State, Madras,
situated in 9° 33' N. and 76° 59' E. Population (1901), 9,932. Its
general elevation is from 3,000 to 3,500 feet. Around it are thirty
tea estates owned by Europeans, containing about 8,ooo acres under
crop. Roads connect the station with Changanacheri, Kottayam,
Trivandrum, and other important places on the west, and with Madura
District on the east. It is the head-quarters of the first-class magis-
trate and Assistant to the Superintendent and District Magistrate of
the Cardamom Hills, and contains postal and telegraph offices. Pirmed
is supposed to be an abridgement of Pir-medu (° Pir's hill'), and to
have been so called because a Musalman saint named Pir Muhammad
once lived here in seclusion.
Pirojpur Subdivision.-Western subdivision of Backergunge Dis-
trict, Eastern Bengal and Assam, lying between 22° 1' and 22° 54' N.
and 89° 52' and 90° 14' E., with an area of 692 square miles. The
population in 1go1 was 553,494, compared with 5rg,6o3 in 1891.
It contains one town, PIROJPUR (population, 14,119), the head-quarters,
and 1,066 villages, and supports Boo persons per square mile, the
density being greatest in the north and centre. In the extreme north
it is covered with great swamps like the adjoining parts of Faridpur
District, while in the south in the Matbari thana, where the density
is only 480 persons per square mile, it merges in the SUNDARBANS.
Pirojpur Town.-Head-quarters of the subdivision of the same
name in Backergunge District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated
in 22° 35' N. and 89° 59' E., on the Baleswar river. Population
(1901), 14,119. Pirojpur was constituted a municipality in 1885. The
income during the decade ending rgor-2 averaged Rs. 6,300, and