Carnatic would have been at Haidar's mercy. The place was twice
captured by the French and was finally restored to the British in 1785.
Porto Novo is a Union under the Local Boards Act and contains
a salt factory. It had once a considerable trade with Ceylon and
Achin, but this has declined. The value of the exports and imports
in 1903-4 was Rs. 12,50,ooo and Rs. 59,ooo respectively. The only
special manufacture is a species of mat made from the leaves of the
screw-pine. The Porto Novo ironworks attained much notoriety in
the early years of the last century. Their melancholy history is
referred to in the account Of SOUTH ARCOT DISTRICT.
Portuguese Possessions.-These consist of the territories of
Goa, Daman, and Diu, lying wholly within the limits of the Bombay
Presidency, and governed by a Governor-General of Portuguese India,
resident at Goa city. They cover a total area of 1,470 square miles
and contain a population (1900) of 531,798, distributed as follows:-
Goa J1301 475,513
Daman . 149 41,671
Diu 20 14,614
Their total revenue in 1903-4 was 23 lakhs. A description and
history of these possessions will be found under the articles GOA,
DAMAN, and Diu.
Porumamilla.-Town in the Badvel tdluk of Cuddapah District,
Madras, situated in 15° 1' N. and 79 E. Population (1901), 5,522.
It possesses a fine tank. There are the ruins of an old fort to the
north of the town, and the place was formerly the seat of a local
chieftain. An inscription on stone in front of the temple of Bhairava,
which stands on an eminence close to the tank, is dated A. D. 1369,
and records that Bukka Bhupati's son Bhaskara Bhupati, who reigned
at Udayagiri, constructed the tank. The date corresponds with that of
the reign of Bukka I of Vijayanagar; and if this be the chief men-
tioned, the inscription is of importance. There is a very old temple
of Lakshmikantaswami in the town, which is said to have been re-
paired by the above-mentioned Bhaskara Bhupati. To the west of the
place, on the bank of the Sagileru river, are some stone cromlechs.
Pothanur.-Village and railway junction in Coimbatore District,
Madras. See PODANUR.
Pottangi.-Zamindari tahsil in the Agency tract of Vizagapatam
District, Madras. It is situated on both slopes of the Eastern
'Ghats, and so is hilly in character and for the most part covered
with jungle, though a great quantity of this has been destroyed. The
main road to the Jeypore estate from the low country passes through