it. Area, 625 square miles; population (1901), 73,013 (chiefly hill
tribes), compared with 77,641 in 1891 ; number of villages, 920. The
head-quarters are at Pottangi. The tahsil is entirely zaminddri land,
belonging to the Jeypore and Pachipenta estates.
Pragjyotisha.-Subsequently called Kamarupa, the name of an
ancient kingdom which at the time of the Mahabharata comprised
Assam and a great part of Northern and Eastern Bengal. It stretched
westwards as far as the Karatoya river, and included a portion of
Rangpur District. It was ruled by a succession of princes of Mon-
Prakasha.-Town in the Shahada tdluka of West Khandesh District,
Bombay, situated in 21" 31' N. and 74" 25' E., 45 miles north-west of
Dhulia at the junction of the Tapti river with two of its tributaries.
Population (1901), 3,687. East of the town stands an old temple of
Gautameshwar Mahadeo, in whose honour a great Hindu fair is held
every twelve years, when the planet Jupiter enters the constellation
Leo. There are several other interesting temples in the neighbourhood.
The municipality, established in 1870, has recently been abolished.
The town contains a boys' school with 165 pupils.
Prang.-Town in the Charsadda tahsil of Peshawar District, North-
West Frontier Province, situated in 34" 8' N. and 71" 49' E., above
the junction of the Swat and Kabul rivers, 16 miles north-east of
Peshawar. It is practically a portion of the town Of CHARSADDA. The
population, apart from Charsadda, in 1901 was 10,235, consisting chiefly
of Muhammadzai Pathans.
Pranhita (` helpful to life').-River in the Central Provinces,
formed by the united streams of the WARDHA and WAINGANGA, whose
junction is at Seoni in Chanda District (19" 36' N. and 79" 49' E.).
From here the river has a course of 72 miles, until it joins the Godavari
above Sironcha. Throughout its length the Pranhita is the western
boundary of Chanda District and of the Central Provinces, which it
separates from the Hyderabad State. Its bed is broad and sandy,
with the exception of a long stretch of rock below the confluence at
Pratapgarh.-State and capital thereof in Rajputana; and also Dis-
trict, tahsil, and town in the United Provinces. See PARTABGARH.
Pratapgarh.-Fortress in the Javli tdluha of Satara District,
Bombay, situated in 17" 55' N. and 73" 35' E., 8 miles south-west of
Mahabaleshwar, on a summit of the Western Ghats commanding the
Par ghdt, and dividing one of the sources of the Savitri from the Koyna,
an affluent of the Kistna. The fort, 3,543 feet above sea-level, looks
from a distance like a round-topped hill, the walls of the lower fort
forming a sort of band or crown round the brow. The western and
northern sides are gigantic cliffs, with an almost vertical drop in many