Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 20, p. 240.


Graphics file for this page
240 PUDUKKOTTAI STAYS
which at the close of 1903-4 contained 36 students in the college
department. Provision has been made in the institution for the
religious instruction of Hindu boys, and physical development also
receives special attention. A school called the Vani Vilasa Veda
Sastra Pathsala teaches Sanskrit on Oriental lines. The staff consists
of eight pandits : three for the Vedas, one each for Tarka (logic) and
Vedanta (metaphysics), one for Mimamsa (a school of philosophy),
and two for Kavya (poetry). The library contains over a thousand
volumes on paper and cadjan (palm-leaves). About half the students
get daily allowances in kind from the assignments made to religious
and charitable institutions. The town State girls' school teaches up to
the lower secondary standard. There is an industrial school at Puduk-
kottai under the control of the Engineer. The State also endeavours to
spread general elementary education. Girls of all castes and Muham-
madans and Panchama boys are taught free. In the lower classes
non-Brahman Hindus form the majority of the pupils. Of the girls,
the most numerous are those of the Muhammadan community. In
1903-4 the receipts from fees, &c., amounted to Rs. 14,ooo and the
gross expenditure was Rs. 40,000, the net cost to the State being
RS. 26,ooo. Of the total outlay, Rs. 15,000 was devoted to primary
education. The control of the Educational department is vested in the
principal of.the College, Mr. Radhakrishna Ayyar, a gentleman known
even in Europe for his works on arithmetic.
Pudukkottai town possesses a well-equipped hospital, with 28 beds for
males and 4 for females, and also a dispensary for women and children,
Medical. while 7 other dispensaries have been opened in the
rural parts. The dispensary for women and children
is in charge of a lady apothecary, and the other institutions are under
the control of the chief medical and sanitary officer. In 1903-4, 440
in-patients and 85,700 out-patients were treated, and the number of
operations performed was z,8oo.
The vaccination staff, consisting of one inspector and ten vaccinators,
works under the supervision of the chief medical and sanitary officer.
About 26 per r,ooo of the population were successfully vaccinated in
1903-4. Vaccination is compulsory only in Pudukkottai town.
The conservancy of this town is controlled by a sanitary board, with
a full-time secretary as its chief executive officer. Conservancy in other
parts is attended to by the revenue staff, acting upon the advice and
suggestions of the chief medical and sanitary officer. The total
annual cost of the Medical department, including vaccination, is about
Rs. 26,ogo.
[For further particulars of the State see its Annual Administration
Reports and the Trichinopoly District Manual (1878).]
Pudukkottai Town. ---Capital of the State of Pudukkottai, Madras,
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html