Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 21, p. 25.


Graphics file for this page
RAE BARELĪ _DISTRICT 25
towers, 8 bastioned gateways, outworks, and a ditch now filled up.
There is also, surrounded by a wall, an inner fort or castle, where the
Nawab lives. Radhanpur is a considerable trade centre for Northern
Gujarat and Cutch. The nearest railway station, 34 miles distant, is
at Patan. A municipality is maintained from local taxation, which
yielded Rs. 2,717 in 1903-4, and from a monthly grant of Rs. 750
made by the State. The chief exports are rapeseed, wheat, grain, and
cotton; and the chief imports are rice, sugar, tobacco, cloth, and
ivory. In 1816, and again in 182o, a disease, in many symptoms
resembling the true plague, visited Radhanpur and caused the death
of half its population. The name is said to be derived from Radhan
Khan, a descendant of Fateh Khan Baloch who held the town under
the Ahmadabad Sultans. Another tradition claims for the town a
remote origin (A.D. 546), and that it was named after Radan Deo,
a Chavada chief. Since the defeat of Kamal-ud-din Khan Babi at
Ahmadabad in 1753, Radhanpur has been the head-quarters of a
branch of the Babi family.
Rae Bareli District.-South-eastern District of the Lucknow Divi-
lion, United Provinces, lying north-east of the Ganges, between 25°
49' and 26° 36' N. and 80° 41' and 81° 34' E., with an area of 1,748
square miles. In shape it resembles a segment of a circle with the
Ganges as the chord. It is bounded on the north-west by Unao ; on
the north by Lucknow and Bāra Banki; on the east by Sultanpur and
Partabgarh ; and on the south-west by the Ganges, which divides
it from Fatehpur. The general aspect of Rae Bareli
is' that of a beautifully wooded, gently undulating Physical
plain. It is markedly fertile and well cultivated. aspects.
The principal rivers are the Ganges and the Sai, the former skirting
the District for 54 miles along its south-western boundary, while the
latter runs through the centre in a tortuous course from north-west
to south-east. Both of these rivers flow in deep beds, but the Ganges
is bordered by a fertile valley of varying width before the upland
portion . is reached. Between the Ganges and the Sai lies a chain of
jhlls or swamps more or less connected with one another, and probably
forming an old river-bed. North of the Sai are found many other jhils,
but these are ordinary shallow depressions and have not the narrow
deep beds of the southern swamps. The Loni flows across the south-
west corner of the District to join the Ganges; and there are many
smaller streams, generally known as Naiya, which carry off water only
in the rains, and drain the jhils to some extent.
The District is entirely composed of Gangetic alluvium, and kankar
or nodular limestone is the only stone formation.
The flora presents few peculiarities. Up to the time of the Mutiny
the stronghold of every talukddr was surrounded by dense jungle, and
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html