Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 21, p. 48.


Graphics file for this page
48 RAIGARH
hundred stone houses, including palaces, mansions, offices, a mint,
granaries, magazines, quarters for a garrison of 2,ooo men, a market
nearly a mile in length, and a number of rock-cut and masonry cis-
terns. While the hill-top was being covered with these buildings, care
was taken to complete its defences. In 1664 Sivaji enriched Raigarh
with the plunder of Surat, and made it the seat of his government.
In the same year, after the death of his father Shahji, he assumed
the title of Rājā, and struck coins in his own name. In 1674 Sivaji
was crowned with much splendour as an independent prince at
Raigarh, and died here six years afterwards in 1680. A description
of the coronation, as reported by an English eyewitness, is given by
Fryer. In 1690 Raigarh was taken by Aurangzeb ; but having reverted
to the Marathas during the decay of the Muhammadan power, it was
invested by a British force in April, 1818, and surrendered after a
bombardment from the hill spur called Kąl-kai lasting fourteen days.
A treasure of 5 lakhs in coin was discovered among the ruins- of
the fort.
Raika.-Petty State in REwn K,~NTHA, Bombay.
Raikot (Raekot).-Town in the Jagraon tahsil of Ludhiana District,
Punjab, situated in 3o° 39' N. and 75° 36' E., 27 miles from Ludhiana
town. Population (1901), 10,131. In the seventeenth century it was
made the capital of the Rais of Raikot, whose palaces are still standing;
but it declined rapidly after their overthrow, and is now of no com-
mercial importance. The municipality was created in x867. The
income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 6,8oo, and
the expenditure Rs. 6,500. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 7,700,
chiefly derived from octroi ; and the expenditure was Rs. 7,400. Raikot
possesses a vernacular high middle school maintained by the munici-
pality, and a Government dispensary.
Raingarh.-One of the Simla Hill States, Punjab. See RAWAIN.
Raipur District r.-District in the Chhattisgarh Division of the
' 11906 the constitution of Raipur District was entirely altered by the formation
of the new Drug District, in which the western portion of Raipur, with an area of
3,444 square miles and a population of 545,235 persons, was included. This area
comprised the whole of the Drug tahsil and portions of the Simgā and Dhamtari
tahsls. At the same time an area of 706 square miles, with a population of 99,402
persons, was transferred to Raipur from Bilāspur, the line of the Seonāth and Mahā-
nadi rivers becoming the boundary of the new District. The new Raipur District was
divided into the four tahsils of RAIPUR, DHAMTARI, MAIIĀSAMUND, and BALODĀ
BźząR, the old Simgā tahsil being abolished, while Drug was included in the new
District of that name. On the transfer of Sambalpur District to Bengal, the Phuljhar
zamfnddri, with an area of 842 square miles and a population of 102,135 persons, was
added to the Mahāsamund tahsil. The area of the reconstituted Raipur District is
9,831 square miles, and the population of that area in rgoi was 1,096,858 persons,
compared with 1,125,019 in 189x. The decrease in population during the decade
was 22 per cent. The density is 112 persons per square mile. The District contains
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html