offences, without the permission of the Political Agent, any person
except British subjects. The income of the State in 1903-4 was 87
lakhs, including receipts from land, forests, and excise. More than
Rs. 70,000 is annually spent on public works. The forms of assess-
ment levied are the hoe (koddli), or the billhook (ddtardi) cess (vary-
ing from 8 annas to 2 rupees); a plough tax (hdlbandi), levied on each
plough (varying according to the status of the cultivator from Rs. 5 to
Rs. r9) ; and bighotis, or acre rates (ranging from 4ā annas to Rs. 25).
Of the total area, 437 square miles have been surveyed. There is
a municipality at Nāndod under State management. The chief main
tains a military force of 111 men, horse and foot, and 239 police. The
State contained in 1903-4 one high school and 81 primary schools, of
which 5 were for girls. The boys' schools were attended by 3,417
pupils and the girls' schools by 607. One hospital and five dispen-
saries and the Nāndod jail infirmary cost Rs. 16,o6o, and treated
38,1oo patients in 1903-4. In the same year 3,280 persons were
vaccinated. Nāndod contains a veterinary hospital.
Rājpur State.-Petty State in Kt1TH1twt1R, Bombay.
Rājpur Town (r).-Town in the head-quarters subdivision of the
District of the Twenty-four Parganas, Bengal, situated in 22° 26' N.
and 88° 25' E., r 1 miles south of Calcutta. Population (1901), 10,713.
Rājpur was constituted a municipality in 1876. The income during
the decade ending 1901-2 averaged Rs. 8,4oo, and the expenditure
Rs. 8,2oo. In 1903-4. the income was Rs. ro,ooo, half of which was
derived from a tax on persons (or property tax) ; and the expenditure
was Rs. 12,000.
Rājpur Town (2).-Town in Dehra Dūn District, United Provinces,
situated in 30° 24' N. and 78' 6' E., at the foot of the Himalayas on
the main road to Mussoorie, 7 miles from that place and 7 miles
from Debra. Population (1901), 2,9oo. The place is chiefly of im-
portance as a stage on the journey to Mussoorie, and it is administered
under Act XX of 1856. Pure drinking-water is supplied through pipes
from the mountains. There are three hotels, a police station, a post
office, and a dispensary. In 1902 a small glass factory was opened
here. Glass is made from quartz, limestone, and soda, the two first
materials being found in the neighbourhood. Four European work-
men and forty-four natives were employed in 1903.
Rājpura.-Head-quarters tahsil of the Pinjaur nizdmat, Patiala
State, Punjab, lying between 30 22' and 30° 36' N. and 760 33' and
76° 49' E., with an area of 141 square miles. The population in 19or
was 55,117, compared with 59,607 in 1891. The tahsil contains 146
villages, of which Rājpura is the head-quarters. The land revenue and
cesses in 1903-4 amounted to 19 lakhs.
Rajputāna (` the country of the Rajputs' ; also called Rajasthān or