180 RANlArAD TO T~7Y
high and 5 feet thick, surrounded by a fosse. In the centre was the
palace of the chiefs.
Ramnagar Tahs1l.-Tahsil of the Rewah State, Central India,
lying between 23° 12' and z4° 23' N. and 80° 36' and 82° 16' E., south
of the Kaimur range, with an area of 2,775 square miles. The country
consists of a medley of hill and valley with but little land suitable for
cultivation, except in the bed of the Son river, which traverses the
north-western corner. The population was 202,153 in 1891, and
22r,98o in 1901, giving the low density of 8o persons per square mile.
There are 949 villages, the head-quarters being at RAMNAGAR. The
land revenue is Rs. 86,ooo. There are no good roads in this tract.
Ramnagar Village (1).-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same
name in Rewah State, Central India, situated in z4° 12' N. and 81°
12' E. Population (1901), 2,621. The village contains a school and a
dispensary, and is connected by an unmetalled road, 15 miles in length,
with Govindgarh, whence a metalled road leads to Rewah town.
Ramnagar Town (r).-Town in the Wazirabad tahsil of Gujranwala
District, Punjab, situated in 32° 2o' N. and 73° 48' E., on the Sialkot-
Multan road, on the left bank of the Chenab, 26 miles west of Gujran-
wala town. Population (1901), 7,121. The town, originally known as
Rasulnagar, was founded by Nur Muhammad, a Chatha chieftain, who
possessed great power in the Punjab during the first half of the
eighteenth century; and it rapidly grew to importance under his family.
In 1795 it was stormed by Ranjit Singh, after a gallant resistance
by Ghulam Muhammad, the reigning Chatha chief, and received from
the Sikhs its new name of Ramnagar. Several fine buildings, erected
during the Chatha supremacy, still remain. In 1848, during the
second Sikh War, Lord Gough first encountered the Sikh troops of
Sher Singh near Ramnagar. Akalgarh, on the North-Western Railway,
is 5 miles off. The diversion of through trade caused by the opening
of the Sind-Sagar Railway is ruining its trade, and its manufacture of
leathern vessels is now extinct. The municipality was created in 1867.
The income during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 7,000,
and the expenditure Rs. 6,9oo. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 6,9oo,
chiefly from octroi ; and the expenditure was Rs. 7,4oo. The town
has a vernacular middle school, maintained by the municipality, and
a Government dispensary.
Ramnagar Town (2).--Town in the Chandauli tahsil of Benares
District, United Provinces, situated in 25° 16' N. and 83° 2' E., on the
right bank of the Ganges nearly opposite Benares city. Population
(1901), 10,882. The town owes its importance to its selection by
Raja Balwant Singh of Benares as his residence. He built a massive
fort rising directly from the river bank, which is still the palace of his
descendants. His successor, Chet Singh, constructed a beautiful tank