Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 21, p. 235.

Graphics file for this page
section of the Bengal-Nagpur Railway, and about io miles from the
Madras trunk road, with which it is connected by a feeder road partly
bridged and metalled. The State maintains a middle English school,
3 upper primary and 38 lower primary schools, and a dispensary.
Ranpur.-Town in the Dhandhuka tdluka of Ahmadabad Dis-
trict, Bombay, situated in 22 21' N. and 71 43' E., on the north
bank of the Bhadar river, at its confluence with the Goma. Population
(rgor), 6,423. On the raised strip of land between the two rivers
is an old fort, partly in ruins. Ranpur was founded about the
beginning of the fourteenth century by Ranaji Gohil, a Rajput chief-
tain, the ancestor of the Bhaunagar family. Here his father Sekaji
had settled, and named the place Sejakpur; but the son, having
strengthened Sejakpur with a fort, called it Ranpur. Some time in
the fifteenth century the ruling chief embraced the Muhammadan
religion and founded the family of the present Ranpur Molesalams.
About 1640 Azam Khan built the fort of Shahapur, whose ruins still
ornament the town. In the eighteenth century Ranpur passed to the
Gaikwar, and from him to the British in 1802. Ranpur is a station
on the Bhaunagar-Gondal Railway. The municipality, established in
1889, had an average income during the decade ending igoi of about
Rs. 6,ooo. In 1903-4 the income amounted to Rs. 6,8oo. The town
contains a dispensary and three schools, of which one is an English
middle school with 33 pupils, and two are vernacular, one for boys and
one for girls, attended respectively by 317 and 125 pupils.
Ranthambhor (Ranastambhapura, or 'the place of the pillar of
war').-Famous fort in the Sawai Madhopur nizdmat in the south-east
corner of the State of Jaipur, Rajputana, situated in 26 2' N. and
76 28' E., on an isolated rock 1,578 feet above sea-level, and sur-
rounded by a massive wall strengthened by towers and. bastions.
Within the enclosure are the remains of a palace, a mosque with the
tomb of a Muhammadan saint, and barracks for the garrison. The
place is said to have been held by a branch of the Jadon Rajputs
till they were expelled by the famous Prithwi Raj in the twelfth century,
when the Chauhan Rajputs took possession. Altamsh, the third king
of the Slave dynasty, seized the fort in 1226, but held it only for a
time. In 1290 or 1291 Jalal-ud-din Khilji, and in 13oo an army sent
by Ala-ud-din, both besieged the place without success. Ala-ud-din
then proceeded in person against the fort, and eventually took it in
1301, putting the Raja, Hamir Deo Chauhan, and the garrison to
the sword. It was subsequently wrested from the sovereign of Delhi,
perhaps during the distractions consequent on the invasion of Timur
at the close of the fourteenth century, and in 1516 is mentioned
as belonging to Malwa. Shortly afterwards it was taken by Rana
Sangram Singh of Mewar, but it was made over to the emperor Babar
vou. xx1. Q
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by
The URL of this page is: