RA VRR TJL UKA 259
Rato-Dero Taluka.-Tiluka of Larkana District, Sind, Bombay,
lying between 27° 37' and 28° N. and 68° 4' and 68° 33' E., with an
area of 325 square miles. The population in igoi was 72,312, com-
pared with 61,268 in 1891. The tdluka contains one town, RATO
DERO (population, 4,281), the head-quarters; and 8o villages. Except-
ing Larkana, this is the most thickly populated triluka in the District,
with a density of 222 persons per square mile. The land revenue
and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to more than 2-9 lakhs. The tdluka
is irrigated by the Sukkur, Nasrat, and Ghar Canals. The staple
crop is rice. Like other well-irrigated tdlukas, Rato-Dero is flat and
has few distinctive features. It contains about 104 square miles of
Rato-Dero Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same name
in Larkana District, Sind, Bombay, situated in 27° 48' N. and 68°
2o' E., 18 miles north-east by north of Larkana town. Population
(1900, 4,281. Local trade is chiefly in grain. Rato-Dero was
formerly the encampment of a chief of the Jalbani tribe called Rato.
The municipality, established in 1862, had an average income of Rs.
8,878 during the decade ending 19or. In 1903-4 the income was Rs.
14,ooo. The town contains a dispensary, a vernacular school attended
by 118 pupils, and an Anglo-vernacular school attended by 34 pupils.
Rattihalli.-Village in the Kod tdluka of Dharwar District, Bom-
bay, situated in 14° 25' N. and 75° 31' E., about 1o miles south-east
of Kod. Population (1901), 3,328. Till 1864 Rattihalli was the
head-quarters of the tdluka. In 1764, in the war between Haidar Ali
and the Marathas, Rattihalli was the scene of a signal rout of Haidar's
army. It contains a temple in Jakhanacharya style, built of sculptured
slabs, with three domes supported on thirty-six pillars. There are seven
inscriptions varying in date from 1174 to 155o. There is also a ruined
fort. The village contains two schools.
Rauza.-Tdluk and village in Aurangabad District, Hyderabad
State. See KHULDABAD.
Raver Taluka.-Tdluka of East Khandesh District, Bombay, lying
between 2T° 3' and 21° 24' N. and 75° 46' and 76° 1o' E., with an area
of 481 square miles. It contains two towns, RAVER (population,
7,870), the head-quarters, and SAVDA (8,720); and ro6 villages. The
population in igor was 80,368, compared with 76,281 in 1891. The
density, 67 persons per square mile, is a little less than half the aver-
age for the District. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was
2-r lakhs, and for cesses Rs. 14,ooo. The soil near the hills is some-
what light, and in other parts it is a fine rich vegetable mould of
varying depth. The chief water-supply is the Tapti river. The climate
is generally healthy. Raver forms an unbroken well-wooded plain lying
below the wall of the Satpuras. The annual rainfall averages 24 inches.