Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 21, p. 260.


Graphics file for this page
260 RA VER TO WY
Raver Town.-Head-quarters of the hdluka of the same name in
East Khandesh District, Bombay, situated in 21 15' N. and 76.2' E.
Population (1901), 7,870. A good road, 2 miles long and carefully
bridged, connects the town with the north-eastern line of the Great
Indian Peninsula Railway. Raver has a local reputation for its manu
factures of gold thread and articles of native apparel. In the main
street, leading from the market-place to the fort, the houses are nearly
all three-storeyed, and have richly carved wooden fronts. Raver was
ceded by the Nizam to the Peshwa in 1763, and by the latter bestowed
on Holkar's family. The municipality, established in 1892, had an
average income during the seven years ending 1901 of Rs. 1,700. In
1903-4 the income was Rs.3,9oo. The town contains three cotton-
gins and presses, and three boys' schools with 268 pupils.
Ravi (the Hydraotes of Arrian, the Parushni of the Vedas, and
the Irdvati of classical Sanskrit authors. The present name means
6 sun').-One of the five rivers of the Punjab from which the Province
derives its name. Rising in the Kulu subdivision of Kangra District,
it immediately passes into the Chamba State, after which it re-enters
British territory on the borders of Gurdaspur District, opposite Basoli
in the Jammu district of Kashmir, forming the boundary of that State
for 25 miles, with a general south-westerly course. It leaves the hills
at Shalipur, but still flows between high cliffs, while on the Jammu
side the mountains rise from its very brink. At Madhopur the head-
works of the Barn Doab Canal draw off a large portion of its waters.
Thenceforward the banks sink in height, and the river assumes the
usual character of the Punjab streams, flowing in the centre of an
alluvial valley, with high outer banks at some distance from its present
bed. In 1870 it carried away the Tali Sahib shrine near Dera Nanak,
a place of great sanctity with the Sikhs, and still threatens that town.
The Ravi next passes between Sialkot and Amritsar Districts, preserving
its general south-westerly direction. The depth is here not more than
a foot in March and April, swelling in June and September to 18 or
20 feet. Entering the District of Lahore, it runs within a mile of
Lahore city, and throws out several branches which soon, however,
rejoin the parent stream. A railway and foot-bridge spans the river
a few miles north of Lahore, and the grand trunk road crosses it by
a bridge of boats. After entering Montgomery District it receives its
chief tributary, the Degh, on its north-western bank. The Degh rises
in Jammu and flows through Sialkot and Lahore Districts, bringing
with it large deposits of silt and affording great facilities for irrigation
by wells. The Ravi then passes into Multan District, where it is again
bridged by the North-Western Railway near Sidhnai, and finally falls
into the Chenab in 30 31' N. and 71 51' E., after a total course of
about 450 miles.
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html