Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 21, p. 288.


Graphics file for this page
288 RE WAH STATE
quota of men and horses and vritya, rent or tribute-free grant. A
revenue survey was made in 1879:
The land revenue and total revenue of the State for a series of years
are shown below, in thousands of rupees :-

Average Average
for ten years for ten years tgoo-t. 1502-3.
1880-go. 18go-igoo.
Land revenue . 6,70 7,87 9113 13154
Total revenue . 11,46 X4113 22,73 29,08
Of the total revenue in 1902-3, the Umaria Colliery contributed
7 lakhs, forests 4-1 lakhs, customs 2•5 lakhs, and excise Rs. 78,000;
while Rs. 8a,croo was paid by holders of alienated land, whose aggre-
gate normal income from land revenue and other sources amounted to
20lakhs The. chief heads of expenditure were: chief's establishment,
3.7 lakhs ; army, 4-3 lakhs ; public works, 3 lakhs ; collection of land
revenue, 1 •4 lakhs ; forests, 1 lakh ; and colliery, 3.7 lakhs.
Silver has never been coined; but early in the nineteenth century
a copper coin known as the Bagga shahi was struck in Rewah, of
which 56 went to one British rupee:
The State forces consist of 1,r4o infantry and 574 cavalry, with
13 guns. A regular police force of 622 men is maintained, village
watch and ward being performed by men of.the IfotwAr caste, who,
receive a small land grant and grain dues,- at each harvest. The
Central jail is at Rewab, and the manufacture. of cotton cloth and=, ice
has been started in it.
The Rewah chiefs- have long been noted as scholars and supporters
of Hindi and Sanskrit learning. In. 1869 Sir D-inkar Rao, the famous
minister ;of Gwalior, who for a short time assisted in the administration
of the State, attempted, but without success, to start an English-
teaching school. During the minority of the present chief many
schools were opened. Of the total population, 2-7 per cent. (4•6
males and o-8 . females) could read and write in 1901: The State
now contains two high schools, affiliated to the Allahabad University;
and 5 r village schools, as well as two girls' schools, with a total.-of
2,740 pupils. The expenditure on education is RS. 27,000 a-year. ,.
There are 17 hospitals, costing Rs. 49,ooo a year. In 1903-4 the
number of persons successfully vaccinated was 331580, representing
25 per z,ooo of the population.
Rewfth Town.-Capital of the State of the same name in Central.
India, and head-quarters of the Huziir. tahsil, situated in z4° 32' N.
and Bi° 18' E., 31 miles by metalled road from Satna on the-.East
Indian Railway, 1,045 feet above the sea. -Population (1901), 24,608,
of whom 19,274, or 78 per cent., were Hindus, and 5,097 Musalm4ns.'
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html