RON TJL UKA
tion, 7,298), the head-quarters, and GAJENDRAGARH (8,855); and 84
villages; including NAREGAL (8,327) and SAVnI (5,202). The papula-
tiom in 19or was 103,298, compared with 92,370 in 189x. The
density, 239 persons- per square mile, is slightly below the District
average. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4: was 1-8 lakhs,`
and for cesses Rs. r4,ooo. Ron taluka is a stretch of rich black soil;
without a: hill or upland. The people are skilful, hard-working tiyisband
men, and well-to-do. The water-supply is poor, and the annual-rainfall
averages only about 23 inches.
Ron Town.-Head-quarters of the Wuka of the same name in
Dharwar District, Bombay, situated in 1e 42' N. and 75°-44* E,, 55' .
miles north-meant of Dh&war town. Population (1000, 7,29$. Ron
has seven black stone temples, in one of which is an inscription dated
rr8o. The town contains two schools, one of_which is for girls.
Roorkee Tahsll.-Eastern- tahsil of Saharanpur District, United
Provinces, lying between 2:9° 38' and 3Q° 8' N.. and 77° 43' arid,
78'.112' E;, with, an area of 796 square miles. It is bounded on the
north by the S1wAliks, on the east by the Ganges, and on the south
by Muzaffarnagar District. It comprises the pargaoas of Roorkee,
J'W111pur,. Manglaur, and Bhagwaripur. The population fell from
z90,498 in 1891 to 286,903 in rgdr. There are 42'6 villages' and
six towns, HARDWAR UNION (population, 2$,597), ROORRFE (17,197),
the tahsil head-quarters, and MANGLAUR (10,743) being the largest.
In 1903-4 the demand for land revenue was Rs. 3,86,ooo, and for
cesses Rs. 62,000. In the same year: the area under cultivation was
369 square miles, of which 38 were irrigated. Besides the forests on
the slopes and at the foot of the Siwiiliks, the dahsfl contains 2o square:
miles of grazing reserve south of Roorkee, known as the Pathri forest;:
and a large area of low-lying land in the Ganges khd4ar. The head-.
works of the UPPER GANGES CANAL are near Hardwar, but the area
irrigated in this tahsil is small. The average rainfall is about 43 inches,
being the highest. in the District. Successful drainage operations have
been carried out near Pathri. The tahsil forms a regular subdivision.
of the District, with a.Civilian joint-Magistrate and a. Deputy-Collector
recruited in India,: who reside at Roorkee.
,. Roorkee Town (Rurki).-Head-quarters of the tahstl of the same
name, and cantonment, in Saharanpur District, United Provinces,
situated in i9° 51' N. and 77° 53' B•, On the main} line of the Gudh
and Rohilkhand Railway, and connected byroad with Sahfranpur and
Hardwar. The Upper Ganges Canal passes;bokweert the native town
and the cantonment. Population (rgor), 17,197, including 9,256
Hindus and 6,197 Muhammadans..
Roorkee was the head-quarters of a mahal or pargana mentioned
in the Ain-i-Akbari; but about 1840, when the, Ganges Canal works