RUPAR 710 WN
RungamAti,-Outpost of the Mughals in GoAlpAra District, East-
ern Bengal and Assam. See RANGAMATI. -
Rungpore.-District, subdivision, and town in Eastern Bengal and
Assam' See RANGPUR.
RupAl.-Petty State in MAH! KaNTHA, Bombay.
Rupar Subdivision.-Subdivision of Ambala District, Punjab,
comprising the tahstls of RfiPA-R and KHARAR. Kharar contains the
cantonment and sanitarium of KASAULI and the `notified area' of KALKA.
Rupar Tahs1l.-Northern. tahstl of Ambala District, Punjab, lying
at the foot of the Himalayas, between 30° 45' and 31° 13' N. and
76° 1g' and 76° 44' E., with an area of 290 square miles. It is
bounded on the north by the Sutlej river, and forms part of the Rupar
subdivision. On the north-east the tahsil runs up into the Lower
Siwaliks, and along the Sutlej is a narrow strip of low-lying countryo
The rest consists of a loam plateau rich in wells, and intersected by
mountain torrent beds. The head-works of the Sirhind Canal: are at
Rupar. The population in rgor was 139,327, compared with 146,.&16
in 18gr. The head-quarters are at the town of RUPAR (population;
8,888). It also contains 358 villages. The land revenue and cesses
in 1903-4 amounted to 2.8 lakhs.
Rilpar Town.-Head-quarters of the subdivision and tahsil of the
same name in Ambala District, Punjab, situated in 30° 58' N. and
76° 32' E., at the point where the Sutlej issues from the hills. Popula,
tion (lgor), 8,888. It is a town of considerable antiquity, originally
called Rapnagar after its founder, Raja Rup Chand. ~It was occupied
about 1763 by Hari Singh, a Sikh chieftain, who seized upon a wide
tract south of the Sutlej, stretching along the foot of the Himalayas.
In r7gz he divided his estates between his two sons, Charrat-Singh
and'. Dewa Singh, the former of whom obtained- Rapar. The estates
were confiscated in 1846, in consequence of the part taken by the
family during the Sikh War of the preceding year. The head-works of
the Sirhind Canal are situated here, and the town is an important mart
of exchange between the hills and the plains. Salt is' imported from-
the- Khewra mines and re-exported to the hills, in return for iron,
ginger, potatoes, turmeric, opium, and charas. Cotton twill (s7isi)' is
largely manufactured, and the smiths of Rilpax have a reputation for
locks and 'other small articles of iron. R13par-was the scene of the
celebrated meeting between Lord William Bend =-k and Raaaj t Singh
in 1831. There are two important religious fairs, one Hindu,' one
Muhammadan. The municipality was created in 1867! The income
during- the ten years ending :1902-3 averaged Rs. ra,roo, and the
expenditure Rs. 11,400. In '1903-4 the income was Rs 14,500,
chiefly from octroi ; and the expenditure was Rs. 16,9oo. There are
three Anglo-vernacular middle schools 'and a dispensary.