Riapb&s.-Head-quarters of a tahsil of the same name in the State
of Bharatpur, Rajputana, situated in 26' 59' N. and 77° 39' E., about
i9 miles south-by-south-east of Bharatpur city. Population (1901),
2,981. The town contains a post office, vernacular school attended
by about loo boys, and a dispensary. The place is mentioned by
Jahangir as having formerly been the jagir of Rtlp and subsequently
given to Aman-ullah, son of Mahabat Khan, and called after him
Amanabad. It was one of Jahangir's -regular hunting-grounds. In
the vicinity of Rupbas are some enormous stone obelisks and images ;
the oldest is a sleeping figure of Baldeo cut in the rock, 221 feet long,
with a seven serpent-hooded canopy and an inscription dated A. D. 1609.
About 8 miles to the south-west are the famous sandstone quarries of
Bansi Paharpur, which have supplied material for the beautiful palaces
at Dig and for many of the buildings at Agra and ratehpur Sikri.
[Archaeological Survey of Northern India, vol. xx.]
Rupnagar.-Head-quarters of a district of the same name in the
north of the State of Kishangarh, Rajputana, situated in 26° 48' N.
and 74° 52" E., about 16 miles due north of Kishangarh town. Popu
lation (1901), 3,676. The town, which takes its name from its founder,
Rup Singh (chief of Kishangarh 1644-58), is walled and possesses
a' fort. The place was once a big market for salt and sugar, but the
railway has diverted this trade elsewhere. Rtlpnagar contains a
British post office; a small jail, with accommodation for 12 prisoners.;
a vernacular middle and an elementary school, attended, respectively,
by about 7o boys and 20 girls; and a dispensary. A municipal com-
mittee attends to the lighting and conservancy of the town. Sursara,
5 miles to the south, was the original seat of the hero Tejaji; venerated
by the Jats ; and a cattle fair is held there yearly in August.
RupniLrAyan.-River of Bengal, known in the- early part of its
course as the Dhalkisor. It rises in the Tilfibani hill in Manbham
District, and follows a tortuous south-easterly course through the
south-west corner of Burdwan District. The Silai joins it on the border
of Midnapore District; and from this point (22° 40' N. and 87' 47'.
E.) it takes the name of Rupnarayan, and after a farther course of 49
miles, during which it separates Midnapore District from Hooghly
and Howrah, it joins the HOOGHLY RIVER in 22° 13' N. and 88' 3' E.
The Rupnarayan proper is tidal throughout its entire course, and
a heavy bore ascends as high as the mouth of the GAIGHXTA BAKSHI
KHAL. The Rupnarayan originally formed a western exit of the
Ganges. It now enters the Hooghly at right angles opposite Hooghly
Point, and when in flood it banks up-the-stream of the Hooghly and
forces that river to deposit its silt upon the dangerous shoal known
as the JAMES AND MARY. It thus constitutes the principal danger to .
the navigation of the Hooghly river. The river is protected on its