Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 21, p. 364.


Graphics file for this page
364; SAaAIYG DISTRICT
.' : Four hospitals are maintained from public funds and two dispensaries
by the railway company. The former have accommodation for 88. in
patients. In. 1903 the number of cases treated was 22,270, including
703 in-patients, and .430 operations were performed. The total income
of the four 'hospitals was Rs. 10,700, towards.which municipal funds
contributed Rs. 5,000, Provincial funds Rs. 5,1oo, and subscriptions
Its. 6,ooo.
Vaccination is compulsory only within the limits of the municipality
of Sagaing. In I9o3-4 the number of successful operations was 8,207,
representing 28 per, 1,ooo of the population. Vaccination is popular,
and no opposition is met with in the rural areas.
[L. M. Parlett, Settlement Report (1902).]
Sagaing Subdivision.-Subdivision of Sagaing District, Upper
Burma, containing the SAGAING and TADA-U townships.
Sagaing Township.-Township of Sagaing District, Upper Burma,
between the bend of the Irrawaddy.on the east and the Mu river on
the west. It lies between 21 5o' and 22' 15' N. and 950 38' and 96
4' E., with an area of 485 square miles. The township is level through-
out, save for a fringe of low hills running parallel to the Irrawaddy
up its eastern edge. The population was 66,989 in 1891, and 77,578
in, rgor, distributed in one town, SAGAING (population, 9,640; the
head-quarters, and ' 2I r villages. The area cultivated in 1903-4 was
177 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda amounted to
Rs, 1,97,500.
Sagaing Town.-Head-quarters of. the Division and District of
the same name in Upper Burma, picturesquely situated in 21 54' Ni
and 96 E., opposite Arnarapura on the right bank of the Irrawaddy, at
the sweeping curve of that river, as it changes its course .from south to
west. The bank here is high, and the town, embowered in tamarinds
trees, is unusually healthy. The civil station occupie's the southern
'portion of. the river front,' The native quarters lie to' the south, north,
,and' north-west. of the European quarter.; and on the foreshore in the
north-east corner of. the town are the railway station and the steamer
gnat, whence communication is established with the Amarapura side of
the river by a steam ferry. North of the railway station again stretches
a long range of arid hills covered with pagodas and monasteries, which
follows the Irrawaddy along its western bank as far a$ the north-eastern
angle of the District. There is a good road along the river front.from
the railway station to the Commissioner's residence, and most of the
.main roads of the town run parallel to or at right angles to it,
The population of Sagaing town was 9,934 in r8gr and 9,643 in
Igor, and included in the latter year 670 Musalmans and 218 Hindus..
In addition to a. fairly 'large Indian population, the town contains a
good many. Ppnnas or.Manipuris, who live in a' quarter of their own.
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html