Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 21, p. 367.


Graphics file for this page
SAHARANPUR DISTRICT 367
and massacred the commandant, Major Holmes, his wife and children,
and all the Europeans in the cantonment:
SagrIL-North-eastern tahsil of Azamgarh District, United Provinces,
comprising up to 1904 the parganas of Gopalpur, Sagri, Ghosi, and
Natthupur, and lying between 26 1' and 26 19' N. and 83 4' and
83 52' E., with an area of 589 square miles. In October, 1904, the
two last-named parganas were transferred to the new Gxosi TAMIL, and
a number of villages were transferred from Gorakhpur District, making
the new area 345 square miles. Population fell from 469,817 in 1891
to 421,740 in 19or, the population of the area as now constituted
being 234,872. There are now 755 villages and one town, Mahaxajganj
(population, 2,192). The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was
Rs. 4,32,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 72,000; but the figures for the area as
now constituted are Rs. 2,40,ooo and Rs. 39,ooo 'respectively. The
density of population of the reduced tahsil is 681 persons per square
mile, considerably below the District average, The tahsil lies south of
the Gogra and is chiefly drained by the Chhoti Sarju. The greater
part of the area is upland, but along the Gogra and Chhoti Sarja are
large stretches of alluvial soil called kaehhar. In 1899-19oo, 327
square miles of the old area were under cultivation, of which 218 were
irrigated, wells being the chief source of supply.
Sagt1.^South-eastern township of Minbu District, Upper Burma,
lying along the Irrawaddy, between 19 53' and 20' 23' N. and 94 30'
and 950 2' E., with an area of 542 square miles, which comprises
a stretch of dry undulating country round the town of Minbu. The
eastern part of the township is irrigated by the Man river canal system,
which is being extended. The population was 4s,,659 in r89r, and
57,699 in 1901, distributed in one town, MINsU (;population, 5,780),
the head-quarters of the District, and 197 villages; Sagu (4,294), on
the Man river, being the township head-quarters. The area cultivated
in 1903-4 was 105 square miles, and the land revenue and thathameda
amounted to Rs. 1,57,000.
Saharanpur District.-District in the Meerut Division of the
United Provinces, lying between z9 34' and 30 24' N. and 77 7'
and 78 12' E., with an area of 2,228 square miles. It is bounded on
the north by the Siwalik Hills, which separate it from Dehra Din Dis-
tract; on the east by the Ganges, dividing it from Bijnor District; on
the south by Muzaffarnagar District; and on the west by the river
Jumna, separating it from the Punjab Districts of Karnal and Amba;la.
Saharanpur forms the: most northerly portion of the DOas or alluvial
plain between the Ganges and Jumna. On its northern boundary the
Siwaliks rise abruptly, pierced by several passes and crowned by jagged
summits which often assume the most-fantastic shapes. At their base
stretches a wild submontane tract (ghar) overgrown with forest or
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html