Under the Yijayanagat kingdom, the place belonged to. the Beltrr
chiefs. It was next taken by, the Bednctr rulers, and Sivappa,'Naik' of
°that' family conferred it on'the'king of Vijayarlagar; who'had sled to
him for refuge. But in r6go it,was taken by the Raja, of Mysore, and
retained by him under the treaty of x694. 'The municipality, formed,
in 1895, became a Union in, 1904, The receipts and expenditure
during the six years ending 19oi averaged Rs. x;700 and Rs; .1,20ot
In 1903-4 'they were Rs. r; 5oo and Rs.' s, 200, "
`Saklanit Estate,-Feudatory estate' situated in the west of the
State of Tehri, United Provinces, with an area"of 7o square miles;
The owners or mudf ddrs pay an annual quit-rent of Rs. toq to the
R, ja of Tehri, and derive an income of about Rs. 2;500 from the estate.
During the Gurkha War their ancestors' rendered important services
to the British Government, The mudfidars have power to try all civil,
rent, and revenue suits arising in. their own villages, And 'exercise
powers as second-class 'magistrates. Cases in which the` mudfidckrs
are personally interested are tratmsferred by the 'Commissioner
Kumaun; as Agent for the' Tehri State, to competent courts in t
Sakoi (Burmese, Sagzvv).-A. small State in the central division
of the Southern Shan States; Burma; lying astride of the kiln river'
between r9° 5z' and 20' o' N, and 96° 55' and 97° x3' E;, with an area
of 103 square miles. ' It is bounded on the north by S4mka and
°Namtok ; on the east by Hsahtung ` and Karenni ; and on tht south
and west by Mongpai and Loilong.. The population in r9or waq
1,387, inhabiting 27 villages, of whom three-fouttlhs were Shans and
the rest Karens and Taungthus, who are mainly occupied iri, rice 'cultl~
watiori. Sakoi, the head-quarters of, the Myoza, has ,Only 35 houses
and 157'inhabitants ; ahd there are no villages of, any, size irf the State.'
The revenue in 1903-4 was only Rs. i,6oo, The tribute payable tq
the British Government is Rs. 500:
Sakoli.-Southern tahsil of Bhandara District, Central Provinces,
lying between- 200 4i' and 211' 17' N. and 79 43' and 8o°, 34' Eq with
an area of 1,549 square miles. The' population in rgoi was 167,395,
compared with 178,984 in 1891t, ' The density is rob persons per
:square mile. The tahsil contains 557 inhabited villages, The heal-
quarters are at Sakoli, a village of 2,019 inhabitants, ' 24 miles from
Bhandara town by road, Excluding 240 square miles of Government
forest, only 3z. per cent, of the available area is occupied for cultivation.
"The demand for1and revenue in ,x993-4 was Rs.;1,25,009,`. and, for.
-cesses Rs. r2,ooo. The tahsil includes x7 samTndarg ,estates wi#h a
total area of 71Q square miles, of 'which 406 consist of forest fit: js
a rice-growing, tract . broken up by small ranges of hills, and contains
the large irrigation tanks for 'which Bbandars. is noted. The cultic