The town, which is walled, possesses a post office, an upper primary
school attended by 44 boys, and several Jain temples, one of which,
constructed of marble and sandstone, is of considerable size and said
to be 950 years old. The place is famous for its dyed and stamped
chintzes, the waters of the Aman-i-Shah being held to possess some
peculiar properties favourable to the dyeing process; the industry has,
however, suffered owing to cheap foreign imitations. Country paper
also is manufactured here.
Sangareddipet.-Head-quarters of Medak District, and of the
Kalabgfir tdluk, Hyderabad State, situated in 17° 38' N. and 78° 5' E.,
34 miles north-west of Hyderabad city, and r4 miles north of Shankar-
palli station on the Nizam's State Railway. Population (1901), 4,809.
The offices of the First and Third Talukdars, the irrigation Engineer,
the Police Superintendent, a District civil court, a District jail and dis
pensary, and two schools with 201 pupils are located here. Six private
schools have 85 pupils. Two miles to the west of the town is the
Rajampet State stud farm.
Sangarh Tahsil.-Northernmost tahsil of Dera Ghazi Khan Dis-
trict, Punjab, lying between 30° 27' and 31° 2o' N. and 70° 24' and
70° 5o' E., with an area of 1,065 square miles. It is bounded on the
east by the Indus, and on the west by independent territory. A narrow
strip along the river is irrigated by floods, wells, and inundation canals.
A considerable portion is sandy and barren, and water is scarce in
many parts. The tahsil is intersected by a number of torrent-beds, the
principal of which are the Vihowa and Sangarh, from which it takes
its name. The population in rgoi was 86,482, compared with 76,888
in 1891. It contains 1691 villages, including Taunsa (population, 5,200),
the head-quarters. The land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted
to one lakh.
Sangarr.-Tdluka of Thar and Parkar District, Sind, Bombay,
lying between 25° 40' and 26° 15' N. and 68° 51' and 69° 25' E.
In 1901 it had an area of 1,050 square miles, and the number of
villages was 63. The present area is 830 square miles, the reduction
being due to the creation of new tdluhas. The population in 1901 was
40,341, compared with 41,265 in 1891. The density, 49 persons per
square mile, is considerably above the District average. The land
revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to r•3 lakhs. The head-
quarters are at Sanghar. The tdluka is mainly irrigated by the
Mithrao Canal, rice being the principal crop.
Sanghi. -Village in the District and tahsil of Rohtak, Punjab,
situated in 29° 1' N. and 76° 41' E. Population (1901), 5,126.
It is administered as a 'notified area.'
' Since the Census o£ 1go1, one village with a population of 16 persons has been
transferred to the Dera Ismail Khan District of the North-West Frontier Province.