Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 22, p. 78.


Graphics file for this page
78 SANTil PARGAN.AS
from about 17,000 in 1883 to 18,650 in 1892--3, to 22,755 in 19oo-1,
and to 27,284 in 1903-4, of whom 1,314 were females. In that year,
9-3 per cent. of the boys and 0-95 per cent. of the girls of school-
going age were at school. The educational institutions consisted of
26 secondary, 912 primary, and 9o special schools, among which may
be mentioned a training school for guris at Taljhari under the Church
Missionary Society, a training school at Benagaria under the Lutheran
Mission, and the Madhupur industrial school maintained by the Fast
Indian Railway Company. A special grant of Rs. 9,500 is annually
made by Government to encourage primary education among the
Santals, and 5,555 aborigines were at school in 19oo. The total
expenditure on education in 1903-4 was 1-81 lakhs, of which
Rs.78,ooo was contributed from Provincial revenues, Rs. 1,ioo from
municipal funds, and Rs. 45,000 from fees.
In 1903 the District contained 1o dispensaries, of which 7 had
accommodation for 89 in-patients. The cases of 6o,ooo out-patients
and Boo in-patients were treated, and 2,686 operations were performed.
The expenditure was Rs. 15,000, of which Rs. 5,000 was met from
Government contributions, Rs. 1,ooo from Local and Rs. 2,300 from
municipal funds, and Rs. 6,ooo from subscriptions. Two of the dis-
pensaries in the Daman-i-koh are maintained by an annual subscrip-
tion among the Santals of an anna per house, Government providing
the services of a civil Hospital Assistant. In addition, the various
missionary societies all maintain private dispensaries. The Raj
Kumari Leper asylum, a well-endowed institution with substantial
buildings, is managed by a committee of which the Deputy-Commis-
sioner is chairman.
Vaccination is compulsory only in municipal areas. In 1903-4
the number of persons successfully vaccinated was 76,ooo, or 42-5
per 1,ooo.
[Sir W. W. Hunter, Statistical Account of' Bengal, vol. xv (1877),
and Annals of Rural Bengal (1868) ; W. B. Oldham, Santdl Parganas
Manual (Calcutta, 1898) ; H. H. Heard, Ghdtwdli and Mul-ryoti
Tenures as found in Deogarh (Calcutta, 1900) ; F. B. Bradley-Birt,
The Story of an Indian Upland (1905).]
Santalpur (with Chadchat).-Petty State in the Political Agency
of Palanpur, Bombay. See PALANPUR AGmgcY.
Santals.-Tribe in Bengal. See SANTAL PARGANAS.
Santapilly.-Village in the Bimlipatam tahsal of Vizagapatam
District, Madras, situated in 18 4' N. and 83 37' E. In 1847 a
lighthouse was erected on the summit of a small hill here, to warn
coasting vessels making for Bimlipatam off the Santapilly rocks,
distant about 62 miles, the lighthouse bearing south-east half east
and being distant about 7-21 miles north-east of Bimlipatam. The
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html