Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 22, p. 103.


Graphics file for this page
.SAR DARPUR
103
mountain stream over a steep rocky bed. The Sarda now divides into
several channels, which reunite again after a few miles al Mundia Ghat
(ferry), where the last rapids occur, and the bed ceases to be composed
of boulders and shingle. From this point the river forms the boundary
between Nepal and Pilibhit District of the United Provinces for a short
distance, and then cuts across and enters Kheri District. In Pilibhit
it is joined on the right bank by the Chauka, which is now a river of
the plains, rising in the tarai, but may have been originally formed as
an old channel of the Sarda. The river is at first called both Sarda and
Chauka in Kheri, and its description is rendered difficult by the many
changes which have taken place in its course. Four distinct channels
may be recognized, which are, from south to north, the Ul, the Sarda
or Chauka, the Dahawar, and the Suheli. The first of these is a small
stream which joins the Chauka again. The name Sarda is occasionally
applied to the second branch in its lower course through Sitapur, but
this is more commonly called Chauka. After a long meandering course
it falls into the GOGRA at Babranighat. This channel appears to have
been the principal bed from the middle of the eighteenth to the middle
of the nineteenth century. The largest volume of water is, however, at
present brought down by the Dahawar, which leaves the Chauka in
pargana Dhaurahra. The Suheli brings down little water and joins
the KAURIALA (afterwards called the Gogra).
Sardargarh.-Chief place in an estate of the same name in the
State of Udaipur, Rajputdna, situated in 25 14' N. and 74 E., on the
right bank of the Chandrabhaga river, a tributary of the Bands, about
50 miles north-by-north-east of Udaipur city. Population (igoi), 1,865.
The old name of the place was Lawa, but it has been called Sardargarh
since 1738. A strong fort, surrounded by a double wall, stands on
a hill to the north. The estate, which consists Of 26 villages, yields an
income of about Rs. 24,ooo, and pays a tribute of Rs. 1,390 to the
Darbar. The Thakurs of Sarddrgarh are Rdjputs of t11e Dodid clan,
and are descended from one Dhdwal who came to Mewar from Gujarat
at the end of the fourteenth century.
Sardarpur.--Civil and military station in the Amjhera district of
Gwalior State, Central India, being the head-quarters of the Political
Agent in BHOPAWAR and of the Malwa Bhil Corps. It is situated on
the edge of the Vindhyan scarp, in 22 4o' N. and 74 59' E., on the
right bank of the Mahi river, 58 miles by metalled road from Mhow.
Population (1901), 2,783. The station derives its name from its ori-
ginal owner, Sardar Singh Rathor, a near relation of the Amjhera chief
who was executed in 1857. He was a famous freebooter, notorious for
his cruelty, of which tales are still current in the neighbourhood. The
Malwa Bhil Corps had its origin in some irregular levies raised about
1837 by Captain Stockley. The men were collected at certain points
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html