under their own headmen, and in harvest time used to return home,
their wives answering for them at muster. A few years later they were
regularly organized, and stationed at Depalpur in Indore territory and
Dilaura in Dhar. Between 1840 and 1845 the corps was moved to
Sardarpur, more regularly equipped and drilled, and employed locally
on police and escort duties, a military officer being put in command.
In 1857 the corps was called into Indore to protect the Residency, and
assisted to escort Colonel Durand in his retreat to Sehore. Sardarpur
was at this time sacked by the Afghan and Rohilla levies of the Dhar
State, and the detachment there was forced to, retire. After order had
been restored, the corps was reconstituted al MANDLESHWAR, being
subsequently sent back to Sardarpur and put under the Political Agent.
Since 1883 it has been regularly officered and disciplined, and was
lately rearmed with the magazine rifle. On the reorganization of the
Indian Army in 1905, it was again converted into a military police
battalion; and in 1907 it was moved to Indore. A school, a combined
British post and telegraph 6ffice, a hospital, and an inspection bungalow
are situated in the station.
Sardarshahr.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
the Sujangarh nizdmat of the State of Bikaner, Rajputana, situated in
28° 27' N. and 74 3o' E., about 76 miles north-east of Bikaner city.
Population (rgo1), 10,052. Maharaja Sardar Singh, before his acces-
sion to the chiefship (1851), built a fort here and called the town which
grew up round it Sardarshahr. In the town are a combined post and
telegraph office, an Anglo-vernacular school attended by 82 boys, and
a, hospital with accommodation for 7 in-patients. The tahsil, which
used to be called Bharutia from the quantity of Uharut grass found
here, contains 187 villages, in which Jats and Brahmans preponderate.
Sardhana Tahsil.-Tahsil of Meerut District, United Provinces,
comprising the parganas of Sardhana and Barnawa, and lying between
29° 1' and 29° 16' N. and 77° i9' and 77° 43' E., with an area of
250 square miles. The population rose from 168,692 in 1891 to
180,141 in 1901. There are 124 villages and only one town, SAR-
DHANA (population, 12,467), the tahsil head-quarters. In 1903-4 the
demand for land revenue was Rs. 3,7o,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 59,000.
The tahsil is thickly populated, supporting 721 persons per square
mile, It lies in the north of the uplands of the District, and its two
parganas are separated by the river Hindan, which is also joined by
the Krishni. Both these rivers are fringed with ravines; but the
tahsil is a fertile tract, well irrigated by the Upper Ganges and Eastern
Jumna Canals. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 201 square
miles, of which 82 were irrigated.
Sardhana Estate.--An important estate in Meerut District,
United Provinces, The area of the estate is about 28 square miles.