Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 22, p. 155.


Graphics file for this page
SW VANUR STATE
155
Court. There are nine criminal courts, the Political Agent having the
powers of a Sessions judge.
The revenue of the State in 1903-4 was about 43 lakhs, chiefly
derived from land (about 2-7 lakhs), dbkdri and sayer (nearly
Rs. 6o,ooo), forests (Rs. 35,ooo), and stamps (over Rs. 33,ooo) The
expenditure was nearly 4.8 lakhs, of which about rl lakhs is spent as
darbdr and pdga (stud and cattle-breeding) grants, and fixed assign.
ments amounting to Rs. 50,0oo. The State spends about Rs. 5o,ooo
annually on public works, and contributed Rs. 28,ooo in 1903-4
towards the salaries of the Political Agent and his establishment; Up
to 1839 the p1rkhdni rupee, first struck by the Bijapur minister, was
the standard coin. Since then it has been replaced by the British
rupee:
The Savantvadi State maintains a local corps, consisting in 1904 of
327 men of all ranks under a European officer, which is to be reduced
to 250; and an unarmed police force of 137, of whom 126 belonged
to the permanent force and the rest were detailed from the local
corps. The State has one jail, with a daily average of 43 prisoners
in 1903-4 In that year the State contained 155 schools with 6,389
pupils. Of these, one is an English school with 261 pupils. Of the
total population, 6.6. per cent. (12.8 males and o8 females) were
returned as literate in 1901. One hospital and 3 dispensaries are
maintained, in which 21,000 patients were treated in 1903-4. There
is a lunatic asylum with 14 inmates, and a leper asylum with 77 in-
mates. In the same year about 6,300 persons were vaccinated.
$avanur State.-Native State within the limits of Dharwar District,
Bombay, lying between 14 57' and 15* 2'N. and 750 22'and 75'25'E.,
with an estimated area of 70 square miles. The State is for the most
part flat and treeless.. In climate and fauna it does not differ from
the. adjacent portions of Dharwar District, The annual rainfall averages:
27 inches. Plague broke out in 1898, and has since caused the death
of over 4,000 persons, of whom one-quarter fell victims in the year
1902-3. The town of Savanur alone lost 1,6oo.
The reigning family are Musalmans of :Pathan origin. The founder
of the family, Abdul Rauf Khan, obtained in 1680 from the emperor
Aurangzeb the grant of a jdgir comprising Bankapur, Torgal, and
Azamnagar or Belgaum, with a command of 7,ooo horse, In 1730
the family, as deputies of the Nizam, received additional territory,
which the Peshwa seized in 1747. In 1786 Tipf Sultan, with whom
the Nawab was connected by marriage, stripped him of much territory
but allying himself with the Marathas, the Nawab regained some part
of it, and obtained from the Pesbwa a pension of Rs. 1o,ooo a month.
At the close of the last Maratha War the Nawab, whose conduct bad
been exceptionally loyal, was confirmed in his original possessions by
VOL. XXIL L
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html