Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 22, p. 180.


Graphics file for this page
180 SPRIAWAPATAM MWX
1799 he prolonged resistance till the place was stormed, losing his life
during the assault. By this victory Seringapatarn became the property
of the British, who leased it to Mysore for Rs. 5o,ooo a year. At the
rendition in x881 it was given up to Mysore, the Bangalore cantonment
being taken over instead as an ' assigned tract.'
The historical interest of the place continues to attract many visitors,
who view the site of the breach, the ramparts, the dungeons in which
British prisoners were chained, and other parts in the fort itself. Out-
side the fort, on the east, is the Darya Daulat, a pleasure garden, with
a lavishly painted summer palace of Tipu Sultan's time, afterwards
occupied by Colonel Wellesley (the future Duke of Wellington). On
the walls are elaborate panoramic paintings of the defeat of Colonel
Baillie at Pollilore in 1780, Haidar and Tipti in processions, and
numerous representations of Rajas and other notabilities, . Farther
east is the suburb of Ganjam or Shahr Ganjam, to' populate which
Tip forcibly deported 12,000 families from Sira. East again of 'this
is the Gumbai or mausoleum of Haidar and Tipu, situated in what
was the Lal Bagh, another pleasure garden with a palace of which
nothing now remains. The island is watered by a canal which is
carried across the south branch of the river by an aqueduct constructed
by Tipu. In 1804 the Wellesley Bridge was built across the eastern
branch by the DiwAn Pirrnaiya, and named after the Governor-General. .
It is an interesting specimen of native architecture, being supported
on rough stone pillars let into the rock in the bed of the river. -
Since x882 the railway has run' through Seringapatam, the fort walls
being pierced in two places for it. Several new buildings for once
purposes have been erected, with a new bathing ghdt as a memorial
to the late Maharaja. These, and various municipal improvements,
have given the place a more prosperous look than it had worn since
the removal of the British garrison in 18og. The municipality dates
from 1871. The receipts and expenditure during the ten years ending
1901 averaged Rs. r t,ooo: In 1903-4 they were' Rs. 8,400 and
Rs. r4,6oo respectively.
Seringham.-Island and town in Trichinopoly District, Madras.
SEC SRIRANGAM.
SermiLdevi Subdivision.-Subdivision of Tinnevelly District,
Madras, consisting of the AMBASAMUDRAM, TENKASI, and NANGU-
NERI taluks.
SermB.devi Town.-Town in the Ambasamudram tilluk of Tinne-
velly District, Madras, situated in 8 41' N. and 77 34' E. It is a
Union, with a population (rgor) of 13,474. Sermadevi is the head-
quarters of the divisional officer in charge of the Nanguneri, Amba-
samudram, and Tenkasi tdluks, and a station on the recently opened
Tinnevelly-Quilon branch of the South Indian Railway; The fields in
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html