a timid and harmless people, who now live chiefly by primitive cultiva-
tion or by working on the coffee estates.
Shevdivadar.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Shevgaon.-Easternmost tdluka of Ahmadnagar District, Bombay,
lying between 19° I' and 19° 33' N. and 74° 58' and 75° 32' E., with
an area of 678 square miles. It contains one town, PATHARDI (popula-
tion, 6,299), and 179 villages. The head-quarters are at Shevgaon.
The population in Igor was 92,384, compared with 100,373 in 189i.
The decrease is attributable mainly to emigration to relief works in
other tdlukas and to the Nizam's Dominions, consequent upon famine
conditions. The density, 136 persons per square mile, is slightly above
the District average. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was
2 lakhs, and for cesses Rs. 15,000. Shevgaon lies in the valley of the
Godavari. The average annual rainfall, over 26 inches, is higher than
in other tdlukas. With one or two exceptions, the streams which drain
the tract all rise in the hills on the south and south-east, and flow
northward into the Godavari. The villages are for the most part well
supplied with water, which throughout the low grounds is always to be
found at a moderate depth. Near the Godavari the soil is deep and
stiff, but near the hills it is of a lighter composition and more easily
worked. Early and late crops are grown in about equal proportions.
The principal manufacture is coarse cotton cloth of various kinds.
Shiggaon.-Head-quarters of the Bankapur tdluka, Dharwar Dis-
trict, Bombay, situated in 14° 59' N. and 75° 13' E., on the Poona-
Harihar road. Population (190r), 5,232. Shiggaon contains temples
of Kalmeshwar and Basappa and ten inscriptions, one in the temple
of Basappa being dated 1121. There are three schools, of which one
is for girls.
Shikarpur District.-Former District in Sind, Bombay, lying be-
tween 27° and 29° N. and 67° and 7o° E., and comprising the four
subdivisions of Rohri, Sukkur, Larkana, and Mehar. Of these, the
last two were detached in 19or to form the new District of Larkana,
and the other two now constitute Sukkur District. See LARKANA and
Shikarpur Subdivision.-Subdivision of Sukkur District, Sind,
Bombay, composed of the SHIKARPUR, NAUSHAHRo ABRo, and SUK-
Shikarpur Taluka.-Tdluka of Sukkur District, Sind, Bombay,
lying between 27° 55' and 28° io' N. and 68° 25' and 69 9' E., with
an area of 492 square miles. The population rose from 86,932 in
18gi to io8,097 in Igor. The tdluka contains one town, SHIKARPUR
(population, 49,491), the head-quarters; and 88 villages. The density,
220 persons per square mile, largely exceeds the District average.
The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to 2-7 laklls.