SHOLAPUR CITY 305
tion (8-9 males and o-4 females) could read and write. In 1881 there
were 174 schools with 7,o6o pupils. The number of pupils increased
to 14,711 in 1891 and to 14,984 in 1901. In 1903-4 the number
of educational institutions was 297, comprising 2 high schools, 7
middle, and 258 primary schools, one training school, 2 industrial
schools, and one commercial school; and the number of pupils was
6,162, including 547 girls. Of the 271 schools classed as public,
one is managed by Government, 176 by local boards, 36 by munici-
palities, 57 are aided, and 2 are unaided. The total expenditure on
education in 1903-4 was r~ lakhs, of which Provincial revenues con-
tributed Rs. 47,ooo, Local funds RS. 27,ooo, and fees Rs. r6,ooo.
Of the total, 7o per cent. was devoted to primary schools.
The District contains two hospitals, including one for females,
8 dispensaries, one leper asylum, and 3 other medical institutions,
with accommodation for 83 in-patients. In 1904 the number of
patients treated was 151,682, of whom 1,118 were in-patients, and
3,802 operations were performed. The total expenditure on the
civil hospital and 8'dispensaries and the leper asylum was Rs. 24,667,
of which Rs. 15,229 was met from Local and municipal funds.
The number of people successfully vaccinated in 1903-4 was r8,ooo,
representing 25 per i,ooo of population, which is slightly higher than
the average of the Presidency.
[Sir J. M. Campbell, Bombay Gazetteer, vol. xx (1884) ; W. W. Loch,
Historical Account of the.Poona, Sdtdra, and Skoldpur Districts (1877).
Sholapur Taluka. - South-eastern tdluka of Sholapur District,
Bombay, lying between r7o 22' and 17° so' N. and 75' 33' and
76' 26' R., with an area of 848 square miles. It contains one town,
SHOL.KPUR (population, 75,288), the head-quarters; and 151 villages.
The population in igoi was 203,905, compared with i8o,630 in
1891. It is the most thickly populated tdluka in the District, with
a density of 240 persons per square mile. The demand for land
revenue in 1903-4 was 2.6 lakhs, and for cesses Rs. 18,ooo. The
tdluka is undulating and devoid of trees, rising in places into small
hillocks showing bare rock. The climate is dry; the cold season
is clear and bracing. The two chief rivers are the Bhima and the
Sina. The Bhima forms the southern boundary for about 35 miles;
and the Sina runs south through the tdluka for about 40 miles.
Sholapur City (Solapur = `sixteen villages').-Head-quarters of
Sholapur District, Bombay, situated in 17' 4o' N. and 75' 54' 1,-,
on the Great Indian Peninsula Railway. Population (r88i), 61,281,
(x891) 61,915, and (1901) 75,288. Hindus number 55,988; Muham-
madans, 16,103 ; Jains, 1,2o6; and Christians, 1,681.
The strong fort in the south-west corner of the city, surrounded
by a ditch, is ascribed to Hasan Gangu, the founder of the Bahmani