proportion of literate persons was 2.8 per cent. (5•2 males and 0-3
females). The number of pupils under instruction was 5,2.66 in
1880-i, 13,300 in 1890-r, 13,745 in 19oo-1, and 15,780 in 1903-4.
In the last year there were one Arts college, 21 secondary, and 183 pri-
mary (public) schools, besides g .advanced and 228 elementary (private)
schools, with 1,415 girls in the public and 278 in the private schools.
The principal educational institutions are the Sialkot Arts college and
5 high schools. The total expenditure on education in 1903-4 was
1-2 lakhs, of which Rs. 24,497 was, contributed by municipalities,
Rs. 42,000 came from fees, Rs. 7,000 from Government grants, and
Rs. 35,000 from Local funds.
Besides the civil hospital and a branch dispensary at head-quarters,
local bodies maintain 7 outlying dispensaries. At these institutions in
1904 a total of 139,968 out-patients and 1,872.in-patients were treated,
and 7,562 operations were performed. A leper asylum and four Kot
dispensaries, for the inmates of the ` Kot' or reformatory for criminal
tribes, are also maintained in the District. The Kot dispensaries treat a
large number of ott-patients. The expenditure in 1904 was Rs. 23,000,
of which Rs. 11,ooo was contributed by Local and Rs. 12,000 by
municipal funds. The District also has four mission dispensaries, aided
from Local and municipal funds, one for males and three for women
and children; and in Sialkot town a charitable dispensary is maintained
by the representative of an old family of hahims or native physicians.
The number of successful vaccinations in 1903-4 was 34,609, re-
presenting 32-3 per r,ooo of population.
[J. R. Dunlop-Smith, District Gazetteer (1894-5) ; Settlement Report
(1895) ; and Customary Lazv of the Main Tribes in the Sialhot District
Sialkot Tahsil.-Northern tahsil of Sialkot District, Punjab, lying
between 32° 17' and 32° 51' N. and 74° 11' and 74° 43'E., with an area
of 436 square miles. The Chenab forms part of the north-western
boundary of the tahsil, which includes a submontane tract known as
the Bajwdt to the north of that river. The country is traversed by
a number of hill torrents, and except in the south-east is extremely
fertile and is fairly well supplied with irrigation wells. The population
in 1901 was 312,688, compared with 302,866 in 189x. The head-
quarters are at the town of S6,LKOT (population, 57,956), and it also
contains 637 villages. The land revenue and cesses in 1903-4
amounted to Rs.4,0o,000.
Sialkot Town.-Head-quarters of Sialkot District and tahsil,
Punjab, situated in 32° 3o' N. and 74° 32' E., on the Wazirabad-
Jammu branch of the North-Western Railway; distant by rail from
Calcutta 1,341 miles, from Bombay 1,369, and from Karachi 808.
Population (1901), 57,956. Sialkot stands on the northern bank of