Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 22, p. 359.


Graphics file for this page
SIDLAGHATTA TOWN
359
three large gate-houses, that in front opening on to the terrace lead-
ing to the river. The rest of the surrounding wall was composed of
numerous lesser shrines, three of which remain and have been con-
verted into a Muhammadan mosque.'
But the work of destruction has proceeded rapidly since the time of
Forbes, and now there is little left save gigantic stones with superb
carving to show the former magnificence of the great temple. Oppo-
site Sidhpur and across the river is a large square building forming a
dharmsala of Kewalpuri Gosains. The town also contains numerous
other temples, and several tanks, one of which, the Bindu Sarovar, is
held peculiarly holy. The tortuous and narrow streets, the crowded
houses, and the population too great for the area inhabited, unite in
making Sidhpur an unattractive town for all except the Audichya
Brahmans, who derive comfortable incomes from this holy place, and
the Bohras. The latter are merchants who carry on business in
Burma, Zanzibar, &c., and then retire to Sidhpur to spend the rest
of their existence in their well-built houses and pleasant gardens.
The town possesses a magistrate's court, Anglo-vernacular and ver-
nacular schools, a dispensary, and the usual public offices. It is
administered as a municipality, which was reconstituted on a partly
elective basis in 1905, and has an, income of Rs. 6,500 from customs,
excise, and tolls. The chief arts are dyeing and printing of cloth, but
the wood-carving on the houses is also worthy of notice. Sidhpur is
locally known as the centre of the poppy-growing tract in Baroda, and
the place where the State manufactures opium.
Sidlaghatta Taluk.-Central taluk of Kolar District, Mysore,
lying between 13 13' and 13 41' N. and 77 48' and 78 8' E., with
an area of 329 square miles. The population in 1go1 was 70,022,
compared with 58,977 in 1891. The tdluk contains one town, SID-
LAGHATTA (population, 7,638) the head-quarters; and 353 villages.
The land revenue demand in 1903-4 was Rs. 1,44,000. The Pa-
paghni river crosses the haluk to the north-east. The Ponnaiyar drains
the south-west angle, forming some large tanks. The north-west is
hilly and rugged, and the soil poor and stony; but black soil occurs
South of Sidlaghatta the soil is good, and potatoes
near the river.
are grown.
Sidlaghatta Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same name
in Kolar District, Mysore, situated in 13 23' N. and 77 52' E.,
30 miles north-west of Kolar town. Population (1901), 7,638. It was
founded about 1524 by a robber chief, in whose family it remained
for eighty-seven years. The Marathas then took and held it for forty
five years, when it was captured by the Mughals. The Marathas again
got possession, and sold it to the chief of CHIK-BALLAPUR. For about
5 miles round the town occurs a kind of laterite called chattu, which
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html