360 SIDLAGHATTA TOWN
differs from the ordinary formation in allowing the growth of large trees.
Reduced to clay it forms a durable plastering for walls, and makes roofs
watertight. The municipality dated from 1870. The receipts and
expenditure during the ten years ending 1 go 1 averaged Rs- 3,75o and
Rs. 4,550. In 1903-4 they were Rs. 5,000.
Sidoktaya.-North-western township of Minbu District, Upper
Burma, lying between 20° 7' and 20° 54' N. and 94° 2' and 94° 3o' E.,
on the eastern slopes of the Arakan Yoma, in the Mon river basin,
with an area of 1,121 square miles. It is sparsely populated, and cursed
with a malarious climate which no Burman from the plains can endure.
The population fell from 24,337 in 1891 to 22,511 in 19or, and in the
latter year included 10,400 Chins, while the nominally Burman popu-
lation is much mixed with Chin. There are 208 villages, the head-
quarters being at Sidoktaya (population, 1,207), on the Mon river. In
1903-4 the area cultivated was 15 square miles, and the land.revenue
and thathameda amounted to Rs. 39,000.
Sidri.-Thahurdt in the MALwA AGENCY, Central India.
Sihawal-Head-quarters of the Bard! tahsil of the Rewah State,
Central India, situated in 24°34' N. and 82° 17' E. Population (igol),
198. The place is of no importance except as the head-quarters of
a tahsil, but contains a British post office.
Sihor. - Town in the State of Bhaunagar, KathiawAr, Bombay,
situated in 21' 43' N. and 72° E., on the Bhaunagar-Gondal Railway,
about 13 miles west of Bhaunagar town, and on the slope of the Sihor
range of hills. Population (1901), 1o,1oi. The name is a corruption
of Singhpur, `the lion city. A still more ancient name is Saraswatpur.
It formed a capital of the Bhaunagar branch of the Gohel Rajputs until
Bhaunagar town was founded in 1723. The old site of the city is about
half a mile to the south. Sihor is famous for its copper- and brasswork,
snuff, and plaster (chunam). The dyers are numerous and skilful, and
dye women's scarves (sadlas) with various colours, but they are especially
famous for their chocolate dye. Sihor is also a great place for oil-
pressers. Near the southern wall of the town is situated the Brahma
kund, the water of which possesses special virtues for bathers. Farther
up the river Gautami lie the Gautami kund and Gautameshwar Maha-
deo. The Sihor stone found in the Ranio hill is much used for
Sihor.-Town and military station in Central India. See SEHORE.
Sihora State.--Petty State in REwA KANTHA, Bombay.
Sihora Tahsil.--Central tahsil of Jubbulpore District, Central
Provinces, lying between 23° 1g' and 23° 55' N. and 79° 49' and
80° 38' E., with an area of 1,197 square miles. The population
decreased from 212,949 in 18g1 to 186,424 in igo1. The density
in the latter year was 156 persons per square mile, which is below