SIKANDARABAD TOWN 361
the District average. The tahsil contains one town, SIHORA (popula-
tion, 5,595) the head-quarters; and 706 inhabited villages. Excluding
96 square miles of Government forest, 55 per cent. of the available
area is occupied for cultivation. The cultivated area in 1903-4 was
563 square miles. The demand for land revenue in the same year was
RS. 2,87,ooo, and for cesses RS. 32,000. The tahsil contains part of
the highly fertile wheat-growing tract known as the Jubbulpore Haveh,
though in Sihora the land is not quite so level or productive as in the
Jubbulpore tahsil. On the west and east broken and hilly country
borders the Vindhyan and Satpura ranges.
Sihora Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Jubbulpore District, Central Provinces, situated in 23° 29 N. and
8o 6' E., 26 miles from Jubbulpore city by rail. Population (igoi),
5595• Sihora was created a municipality in 1867. The municipal
receipts during the decade ending lgoi averaged Rs. 5,100. In 1903-4
the receipts were Rs. 5,000, mainly derived from a house tax and
brokers' fees. The iron ore found locally is smelted by indigenous
methods in Sihora, and there is a certain amount of local trade; but
the town is not growing. It contains a vernacular middle school, a
girls' school supported by the Zanana Mission of the Church of
England, and a dispensary.
Sikandarabad Tahsil.-North-western tahsil of Bulandshahr Dis.
tract, United Provinces, comprising the parganas of Sikandarabad,
Dadri, and Dankaur, and lying along the Jumna, between 28° 15'
and,28° 39' N. and 77° 18' and 77° 5o' E., with an area of 516 square
miles. The population rose from 224,368 in 1891 to 260,849 in 19oi.
There are 404 villages and seven towns, the largest of which are
SIKANDAKABAD (population, 18,290), the tahsil head-quarters, and
DANKAUR (5,444) The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was
Rs. 4,32,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 74,ooo. The tahsil is the poorest
in the District, and supports only 505 persons per square mile, against
an average of 599. It is crossed from north to south by two main
lines of drainage-the Patwai and the Karon or Karwan. Both of these
are naturally ill-defined, but their channels have been deepened and
straightened. The area between the Patwai and Jumma is poor, being
largely covered with tamarisk and grass jungle varied by patches of salt
waste. In the north the HINDAN and Bhuriya rivers increase the satu-
ration, while they bring down fertile deposits of earth. The tahsil
is well supplied with irrigation by the Mat branch of the Upper
Ganges Canal, which passes through the centre from north to south.
In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 358 square miles, of which
150 were irrigated. More than two-thirds of the irrigated area is
supplied from the canal.
Sikandarabad Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same