Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 22, p. 385.


Graphics file for this page
SIMLA HILL STATES 385
octroi (1-7 lakhs), taxes on houses and lands (13 lakhs), municipal
property and fines, &c. (Rs. 5r,ooo), and loans from Government
(Rs. 39,ooo). The expenditure of 54 lakhs included: general adminis-
tration (Rs. 57,000), water-supply (Rs. 89,ooo), conservancy (Rs. 33,000),
hospitals and dispensaries (Rs. 36,ooo), public safety (Rs. 37,000),
public works (1 lakh), interest on loans (Rs. 53,ooo), and repayment
of loans (Rs. 64,000). Water is supplied to the station by a system
of water-works constructed at a cost of about 6 lakhs, and supposed
to be capable of supplying a minimum of 3oo,ooo gallons a day. The
supply is not, however, sufficient for the rapidly growing needs of the
town. A drainage system is now being extended at a cost of nearly
6 lakhs. The consolidated municipal debt amounts to about t2 lakhs.
The commerce of Simla consists chiefly in the supply of necessaries
to the summer visitors and their dependants, but the town is also an
entrepet for the trade with China and Tibet mentioned in the article
on SIMLA DISTRIcr. There are a large number of European shops,
and four banks. The chief exports of the town are beer and spirits;
there being two breweries and one distillery.
The chief educational institutions are the Bishop Cotton School,
a public school for European boys founded by Bishop Cotton in 1866
in thanksgiving for the deliverance of the British in India during the
Mutiny of 1857; the Auckland high school for girls; the Christ
Church day school for boys and girls; two convent schools and a
convent orphanage; the Mayo Orphanage for European and Eurasian
orphan girls; and a municipal high school. The two chief medical
institutions are the Ripon and Walker Hospitals, the latter founded in
1902 through the munificence of Sir James Walker, C.I.E., as a hospital
for Europeans.
Simla-cum-Bharauli.-These two isolated tracts form a sub-lahsil
of Simla District, Punjab, lying between 30 58' and 31 8' N. and
77 1' and 77 15' E., with an area of 25 square miles. It is bounded
on all sides by the Simla Hill States. The population in 19o1 was
29,668, compared with 25,405 in 1891. SIMLA (population, 13,960) is
the head-quarters, and there are 35 villages. The land revenue and
cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 7,ooo. The sub-lahsil lies entirely
in the hills.
Simla Hill States.-A collection of Native States in the Punjab,
surrounding the sanitarium of Simla, and extending between 30 46'
and 32 5' N. and 76 28' and 79 14' E. They are bounded on the
east by the high wall of the Himalayas; on the north-west by the
mountains of Spiti and Kulu belonging to the District of Kangra, and
lower down by the Sutlej, separating them from the State of Suket and
Kangra proper; on the south-west by the plains of Ambala ; and on
the south-east by Dehra Dun and the Native State of Tehri. They are
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html