Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 23, p. 241.


Graphics file for this page
TAN,JORE TAL Uk 24r
for masters and 3 Arts colleges. The girls in these numbered 8,092.
There were, besides, 585 private schools, 52 of these being classed as
advanced, with 13,334 pupils, of whom 1,302 were girls. Of the 1,273
institutions classed as public, i r were managed by the Educational
department, 153 by local boards, and 27 by municipalities, while 596
were aided from public funds, and 486 were unaided but conformed to
the rules of the department. The great majority of pupils are in
primary classes ; but the number who have advanced beyond that
stage is unusually large, the District in this respect, as in education
generally, being in advance of all others except Madras City. Of the
male population of school-going age 25 per cent. were in the primary
stage of instruction, and of the female population of the same age
4 per cent. Among Musalmans (including those at Koran schools),
the corresponding percentages were 99 and 13. There are 158
special schools for Panchamas in the District, with 4,114 Panchama
pupils of both sexes. The Arts Colleges are the Government College
at KUMBAKONAM, St. Peter's College at TANJORr;, and the Findlay Col-
lege at MANNARGUDI. The total expenditure on education in 1903-4
was Rs. 5,22,000, of which Rs. 2,53,000 was derived from fees. Of
the total, Rs. 2,43,000 (47 per cent.) was devoted to primary education.
Sixteen hospitals and 22 dispensaries, with accommodation for 398
in-patients, are maintained by the local boards and municipalities. A
medical training school is attached to the hospital at Tanjore city.
In 1903 the number of cases treated was 411,000, of whom 5,200 were
in-patients, and 17,000 operations were performed. The expenditure
was Rs. 87,000, the greater part of which was met from Local and
municipal funds.
In 1903-4 the number of persons successfully vaccinated was
34 per 1,ooo of the population. Vaccination is not compulsory except
in the five municipalities.
[F. R. Hemingway, District Gazetteer (1906).]
Tanjore TMuk.-Western tdluk and subdivision of Tanjore
District, Madras, lying between 10 26' and 10 55' N. and 78 47' and
79 22'-E., with an area of 689 square miles. The population in 1901
was 407,039, compared with 410,447 in 1891. There are 362 villages
and four considerable towns : TANJORE CITY (population, 57,870), the
head-quarters of both the District and the tdluk ; the sacred town of
TIRUVADI (7,821); VALLAM, where the Collector resides (7,590) ; and
AYYAMPETTAI (9,454) famous for its carpets and mats. The demand
for land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. io,l6,ooo.
The tdtuk differs from others in the District in the large number of the
thief-caste Kallans it contains. It is divisible into two well-marked
sections, the first including much of the apex of the Cauvery delta,
and the second running up in the south and west to dry uplands
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html