THARRAYVADDY TOWN 327
females). The expenditure on education was Rs. 52,300; of which
Rs. 23,8oo came from the District cess fund, Rs. 7,300 from. municipal
funds, and Rs. 6,8oo from Provincial funds. The fees amounted
to Rs. 14,2oo. Educational progress has been steady during the
past five years. Secondary education has declined in the Letpadan
and Gyobingauk townships, but has increased in Minhla and Monyo.
The growth. in the popularity of education is much more marked in
primary than in secondary schools, the latter remaining stationary,
while the former have increased by nearly 15 per cent. since 19oo.
Female education has increased by 52 per cent. in the same period.
The District possesses 8 hospitals, containing 96 beds, as well as
2 railway dispensaries. In 1903 the number of cases treated was
68,748, of whom 1,770 were in-patients, and 1,058 operations were
performed. The hospitals are maintained almost entirely from Local
(town and municipal) funds, the expenditure on them amounting to
Rs. 29,000 in 1903.
Vaccination is compulsory only in the three municipalities. In
1903-4, 11,428 persons were successfully vaccinated in the urban
and rural areas, representing 29 per 1,ooo of population.
[E. A. IVIoore, Settlement Reports (1902 and 1903).]
Tharrawaddy Subdivision.-Southern subdivision of Tharra-
waddy District, Lower Burma, comprising the THARRAWADDY, LET-
PADAN, and MINHLA townships, with head-quarters at Tharrawaddy town.
Tharrawaddy Township.-Southern township of Tharrawaddy
District, Lower Burma, lying between 17° 31' and r7° 58° N. and 95° 33'
and 96° 5' 1:., with an area of 391 square miles. In I9ot it formed
part of the Letpadan township. The population in 1901 of the area
separated was 53,940, distributed in 228 villages and one town proper,
THONZE (population, 6,578). The head-quarters are at THARRA-
WADDY TowN. The township is level throughout, except in the east,
where it abuts on the Pegu Yoma. There were 97 square miles culti-
vated in 1903-4, paying Rs. 2,13,000 land revenue.
Tharrawaddy Town.-Head-quarters of Tharrawaddy District,
Lower Burma, situated in 17° 4o' N. and 95° 48' E., on the Rangoon-
Prome railway, 68 miles from Rangoon in a north-westerly direction.
Population (1901), 1,693. Tharrawaddy may be regarded more or less
as a suburb of the municipality of THONZE, 2 miles to the south, with
which it is connected by road and railway. The Rangoon-Prome road
passes through the town, which occupies a well-wooded and com-
pact area, but low-lying. It contains a hospital, the usual District
head-quarters offices, the Forest school, the residences of the local
officials, and some mission buildings. The roads are good and well
lighted, the cost of lighting being met from the District cess fund. It
is said to have been selected as the head-quarters on account of its