36o TLLHAR TO IVN
stimulated its trade, and it is now the second town in the District, with
several commodious markets belonging to the municipality. It con-
tains a branch of the American Methodist Mission and a dispensary.
It became a municipality in 1872. During the ten years ending igoi
the income and expenditure averaged Rs. 18,ooo and Rs. 15,000
respectively. In 1903-4 the income was RS. 29,000, including octroi
(Rs. 14,ooo) and rents (Rs. 4,000); and the expenditure was Rs. 29,0oo.
Under native rule Tilhar was chiefly celebrated for the bows and
arrows made here; and pātkis, varnished boxes, and similar articles are
still made. The chief trade is, however, in unrefined sugar (gwr) and
grain, the latter being a very important article of commerce. Oilseeds
are also largely exported. The tahsili school has 205 pupils, and eight
municipal schools have 6oo pupils.
Tilin.-Western township of Pakokku District, Upper Burma, lying
between 21° 27' and 21° 57' N. and 93° 59 and 94° 22' E., with an
area of 488 square miles. It lies between the Chin Hills and the
Pondaung range, which cuts it off from the rest of the District. The
chief stream is the Maw, which joins the Myittha river after a short
northerly course. The sole cultivation is rice, and this only near the
streams, so that in years of drought the township is liable to partial
famine. The population was 10,943 in 1891, and 12,183 in 19ol,
distributed in 120 villages, Tilin (population, 670), on the Maw
river, being the head-quarters. About 2,ooo Taungthas reside in the
township, who are largely employed in rearing silkworms. The area
cultivated in 1903-4 was 6 square miles, and the land revenue and
thathameda amounted to RS. 27,000.
Tillā.--An eastward continuation of the Salt Range in Jhelum Dis-
trict, Punjab, 3,242 feet above the sea. From the Bunha torrent the
range rises rapidly to the culminating peak of Jogi Tilla and thence
sinks as rapidly, but a series of low parallel ridges runs out across the
valley of the Kahān. The hill is sometimes used as a summer resort
by officers of Jhelum District. A famous monastery of Jogi fakirs is
Tilothu.-Village in the Sasardm subdivision of Shahabād District,
Bengal, situated in 24° 49' N. and 84° 6' E., 5 miles east of the gorge
by which the Tutrahi, a tributary of the Kudra river, leaves the hills.
Population (1901), 2,592. This spot is sacred to the goddess Sitala.
The gorge itself is half a mile long, terminating in a sheer horseshoe
precipice from 18o to 250 feet high, down which the river falls. The
rock at first recedes at an angle of 1oo for about one-third of the
height ; but above that it overhangs, forming a re-entering angle. The
chief object of interest is an image, bearing the date 1332, which is said
to have been placed here by the Cheros. It represents a many-armed
female killing a man as he springs from the neck of a buffalo. A fair is.