Trimāb.-River formed by the united waters of the Rnvl, CHENA1i,
and JHELum rivers in the Punjab. Its length is 104 miles to the
junction with the Sutlej.
Trimbak (more correctly, Triambah, 'the three-eyed,' a name of
Mahadeo).-Town in the District and tdluha of Nasik, Bombay,
situated in 19° 54' N. and 73° 33' E., 20 miles south-west of Nasik
town. Population (1900, 3,321. Trimbak fort, which is 4,248 feet
above the sea, and about i,8oo above the town, is on a scarp so high
and precipitous as to be practically impregnable. The hill is io miles
round the base and about 4 miles round the top. The scarp, which
varies in height from 200 to 400 feet of perpendicular rock, surrounds
the hill in every part, leaving only two gateways. The chief gateway
through which the garrison received their stores and provisions is on
the south. The north gateway is only a single gate, the passage to
which is by narrow steps cut out of the rock, and wide enough for only
one person at a time. Besides the gateways there are a few towers and
works on different parts of the hill, but their position does not seem to
have been chosen with a view to increase the strength of the fortress.
In 1857 the Brahmans of Trimbak instigated a party of Bhils and
Thakurs to attack the Trimbak treasury on the night of December 5.
Trimbak is a place of Hindu pilgrimage, and, besides being visited by
all the pilgrims who go to Nasik, has a special fair in honour of
Trimbakeshwar Mahadeo, held when the planet Jupiter enters the sign
Leo, which event happens once every twelve years. The festival held
in September, 1872, was attended by thousands of pilgrims from all
parts of India. The municipality, which was established in 1866,
had an average income during the decade ending 1go1 of Rs. 6,1oo.
In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 8,8oo, of which Rs. 3,500 was derived
from a pilgrim tax. The town contains a dispensary.
Trinomalai.-Tttluh and town in South Arcot District, Madras.
Tripatty.-Town in North Arcot District, Madras. See TIRUPATI.
Tripatür (1).-Zaminddri tahsil and town in Madura District,
Madras. See TIRUPPATTŪR (1).
Tripatūr (2).-Subdivision, thluh, and town in Salem District,
Madras. See TIRUPPATTUR (2).
Trippapnr.-Village and shrine in the Trivandrum tdluh of Travan-
core State, Madras, situated in 8° 33' N. and 76° 58' E., about 5 miles
north of Trivandrum. Population (1901), 1,937. The shrine, in
which are worshipped the feet of Vishnu, is of great sanctity. Ananta
Padmanabha, the tutelary deity of the Travancore royal house, is said
to be resting with his head at Tiruvallam, his body at Trivandrum, and
his feet at Trippapilr. This last name is a corruption of Trippadapuram
(' city of the holy feet'), and after it the Maharaja's family was formerly