Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 24, p. 50.


Graphics file for this page
50 TRIPPAPOR
known among the Malabar kings as Trippapiir s7eiarwjam. The
Maharajas first put on the crown.at this shrine and thereafter take
the name o£ Kulasekhara Perumal, a custom which suggests that this
was the king's first capital, at least at the time when the coronation
ceremony was instituted.
Tripunittura.-Town in the Kanayannfir Wuk of Cochin State,
Madras, situated in 9° 57' N. and 760 2o' E., 8 miles east of British
Cochin and 5 miles from Ernakulam. Population (igox), about 3,ooo.
Its importance consists in its being the residence of the members of
the ruling family, for whom the State has built several palaces. The
present Raja usually resides in a handsome palace, picturesquely
situated on a hill 1 z miles to the east of the town.
Trivandrum (Tire-Anantapurana, ° the holy city of Ananta').-
Capital of Travancore State, Madras, situated in 8° 29' N. and 76° 57'
E. Area, 9.89 square miles ; population (1900, 57,882, consisting of
29,992 males and 27,8go females. Hindus number 47,860, Musalmans
4,083, Christians 5,912, `others' 27. Trivandrum is the largest town
in Travancore, and the residence of the Maharaja and the British
Resident. It lies 2 miles from the sea, and contains a fort enclosed
by a high wall about i,ooo yards long from east to west and about
Boo yards from north to south. The fort and its neighbourhood
constitute the most crowded part of the town, and here amid his
people lives the ruler of the country. The celebrated shrine of Sri
Ananta Padmanabhaswami is situated within the fort facing the east,
a few yards inside the eastern gate. This has made Trivandrum a
great religious centre, which attracts pilgrims from all parts o£ India
throughout the year. In fact the town has really grown up about the
shrine and owes its name to it. The temple has a revenue from land
amounting to Rs. 75,ooo, and is under a peculiar system of manage-

ment. Within the fort are also the palaces of the Maharaja and other
members of the ruling family. On the main road, a mile to the north
of the fort, are the Huzür Kacheri, in which the establishments of the
Diwan (or Minister), the High Court, and other head offices are
accommodated in a handsome range of buildings of classic style. To
the north of the public offices are the colleges for boys and girls, the
Victoria Jubilee Hall, the Industrial School of Arts, the public library,
the Christian churches, and the military cantonment in which is located
the Nayar Brigade. Farther north again is the Napier Museum, erected
in the public gardens on plans embracing the prominent features of
Malayalam architecture. Close to the Museum is the Observatory,
where John Caldecott, the first astronomer (1837-49), and J. A. Broun,
F.R.S., conducted their observations. The building, which was planned
and erected by Captain Horsley of the Madras Engineers, is situated
on a laterite hill, 195 feet above sea-level. Scattered about in all
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html