TULJfI PUR TĀL UK
directions save the south are the residences of Europeans and natives,
picturesquely situated on isolated hills rising from 50 to nearly Zoo feet
above the sea, commanding beautiful views over a country which is
perennially green and flourishing.
As regards industry and commerce, Trivandrum ranks below some
of the other towns in the,State. It has a small seaport ; but the few
vessels that touch at it have to lie at some considerable distance from
the shore. Trivandrum is connected by good roads with all the
important centres in the country. Towards the south, an excellent
road about 53 miles in length leads to the Travancore frontier across
the Aramboli pass, placing the town in communication with Tinnevelly,
which is about 50 miles from the boundary. Towards the north,
a chain of backwater communication gives easy access to Quilon and
Cochin, and thus with the South Indian and Madras Railways.
Trivellore.-Subdivision, tdluk, and town in Chingleput District,
Madras. See TIRUVALLUR.
Trombay (Turmbhen).-Port in the Salsette tdluka of Thāna Dis-
trict, Bombay, situated in 19° 2' N. and,72° 57' E., about 3 miles north-
east of Bombay City. Population (1901), 2,772. Trombay is a hamlet
with a few huts, port and sea-customs offices, a salt store, and a ruined
Portuguese church, with a well-preserved vaulted chapel 22 feet long,
222 feet high, and 22 feet wide. The value of the trade in 1903-4
was returned at 712 lakhs : namely, imports 402 lakhs and exports
31 lakhs. The imports are chiefly cattle, gunny-bags, grass, and teak,
and the exports rice, salt, firewood, and grass. The village contains
a leper home.
Tukreswari.-Hill in the Habraghat pargana, Goalpara District,
Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 26° 3' N. and 90 38' E., on
the summit of which stood a temple dedicated to Durgā built by
a former Raja of Bijni. Its construction indicated considerable
engineering skill on the part of the architect, and it was frequented
by pilgrims from all parts of India. The temple was destroyed in the
earthquake of 1897, but is now being rebuilt.
Tulamba.-Ancient town and ruins in Multąn District, Punjab.
Tule La.-Pass in the State of Bhutan, situated in 27° 7' N. and
8g° o' E., 1o,ooo feet above the sea. By it the road from Sipchu to
Paro crosses the range dividing the Di-chu and Amo-chu valleys.
Tulja,pur Tāluk.-Western tdhsk of Osmanabad District, Hyderabad
State. The population in 1901, including jdgirs, was 58,415 and the
area was 411 square miles; but in 1905 the Naldrug tdluk was added
to it. The combined area is now 781 square miles, of which the
population in rgol was 114,750, compared with 121,799 in 18gi, the
decrease being due to the famine of 1goo. The tdluk contains two